Capacitor and dielectrics help

In summary, the extra energy comes from the potential difference (energy per unit charge) that increases when the dielectric is removed.
vortexbaby
This is a conceptial problem. A slab of dielectric, with a dielectric constant K between an isolated parallel-plate capacitor, is removed. The two plates of the capacitor have charges Q and -Q, which do not change when the slab is removed. Is the energy stored in the capacitor more, less, or the same after the dielectric is removed? If it is more, what is the source of the extra energy? If less, where does the lost energy go?

Now I know that the Potential Difference (V) increases when the slab is removed, plus the capacitance (C) decreases. This means that the energy stored in the capacitor should increase, but where does this extra energy come from? I've worked on this problem for so long that I've confused myself.

Vortexbaby

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's assume the capacitor is disconnected from any external circuit.

Removing the dielectric would indeed increase the energy stored in the capacitor.
This means that you need to bring energy in order to remove the dielectric: the dielectric is attracted by the capacitor. This is clear from the forces involved: the (opposite) surface charges on the dielectric are attracted by the plates. You need to work against these forces to remove the dielectric. The funny thing is that this work is stored in the capacitor!

On the other side, the attraction force between the two plates will increase since the "shielding" by the dielectric has be removed.

The details of this process might be a little bit more complicated, like the exact shape of the electric field lines when the dielectric is removed. This shows the "magic" of the energy theorem that allows us to quantitfy this attraction force between the plates and the slab is a very easy way.

Have a look at this site for applications:

Would that also play a role sometimes in adhesion? Any idea?

Michel

Last edited:
vortexbaby said:
This is a conceptial problem. A slab of dielectric, with a dielectric constant K between an isolated parallel-plate capacitor, is removed. The two plates of the capacitor have charges Q and -Q, which do not change when the slab is removed. Is the energy stored in the capacitor more, less, or the same after the dielectric is removed? If it is more, what is the source of the extra energy? If less, where does the lost energy go?

Now I know that the Potential Difference (V) increases when the slab is removed, plus the capacitance (C) decreases. This means that the energy stored in the capacitor should increase, but where does this extra energy come from? I've worked on this problem for so long that I've confused myself.
Since the potential difference (energy per unit charge) increases, the total energy increases. It can only come from the energy used in removing the dielectric. What forces are acting on the dielectric?

AM

Thread has been merged.

Zz.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy by accumulating electric charges on its two plates, separated by a non-conducting material called a dielectric. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to temporarily store and regulate electrical energy.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by creating an electric field between its two plates, which attracts and stores electric charges. When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, it charges up and stores energy. When the voltage is removed, the capacitor releases the stored energy.

3. What is the role of a dielectric in a capacitor?

A dielectric is a non-conducting material that separates the two plates of a capacitor. It helps to increase the capacitance of a capacitor, which is the ability to store more charges at a given voltage. It also prevents the two plates from touching and short-circuiting.

4. What are the different types of dielectrics used in capacitors?

The most commonly used dielectrics in capacitors include air, paper, ceramic, plastic, and electrolytic materials. Each type has different properties and is suitable for different capacitor applications.

5. How do dielectrics affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor is directly proportional to the surface area of its plates and the permittivity of the dielectric material used. A higher permittivity of the dielectric results in a higher capacitance, while a lower permittivity results in a lower capacitance. Dielectric materials with higher permittivity, such as ceramic and plastic, are commonly used to increase the capacitance of a capacitor.