Calculating the Motion of a Rolling Cart Down an Incline

In summary, a 1.50 kg sled scrapes down a grassy incline with a coefficient of friction of 0.678 and a constant speed of 4.50 m/s, taking 12.5 seconds to reach the bottom. A 5.00kg rolling cart (with an effective coefficient of friction of 0.456) then goes down the same hill and crashes into a stationary bale of hay, experiencing an average force of 98.0N. Using the given information, the angle of incline is 34 degrees, the length of the incline is 2.78m, the acceleration of the cart is 1.78m/s squared, and the speed at the bottom is
delta_mu
ok I have another problem here. Please help me. Thank you in advance.

A 1.50 kg sled scrapes down a grassy incline where the coefficient of friction is 0.678. The sled moves at a constant speed f 4.50 m/s and it takes 12.5 seconds to travel the entire length of the hill to the bottom.

After the sled passes, a 5.00kg rolling cart (with an effective coefficient of friction of .456) goes down the same hill. At the bottom. the cart crashes into a very massive bale of hay (which does not move so this is not a collision problem). The ha bale exerts an average force of 98.0N on the cart. Calculate how far into the hay bale the cart goes before stopping.

[Hints: find angle of incline; length of incline; acceleration of cart; speed at bottom of incline]

I received for the angle: 34 degrees
the length of the incline: 2.78m
acceleration of cart: 1.78m/s squared
speed at bottom: 3.15 m/s

Please inform me if I am wrong on any of those, and please help me to calculate the distance the cart travels in the hay before it stops.

Physics news on Phys.org
Delta Mu:

This is a take-home EXAM. Help from others was specifically forbidden. THis includes people you do not know.

Hello, I am your teacher.

Last edited:
Hah! This is funny. Good thing you didn't use your real name... :wink:

Well, not knowing if you really are his teacher (afer all, what are the odds?) I will just say that:
[tex]F_{ext}x = \Delta E_m = \Delta E_k[/tex]

Chen said:
Hah! This is funny. Good thing you didn't use your real name... :wink:

Well, not knowing if you really are his teacher (afer all, what are the odds?) I will just say that:
[tex]F_{ext}x = \Delta E_m = \Delta E_k[/tex]

The odds are good. I tell all my students about this forum and encourage them to seek help with homework. HTis is a question from a test, however, and I would request that no one answer it further.

Fair enough. I do appreciate the trust you have in your students, and what I posted can be found in every textbook anyway. :smile:

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of a rolling cart down an incline?

The acceleration of a rolling cart down an incline can be calculated by using the formula a = gsinθ, where "a" is the acceleration, "g" is the gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s^2), and "θ" is the angle of the incline.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the acceleration of the cart?

The acceleration of the cart is directly proportional to the angle of the incline. This means that as the angle of the incline increases, the acceleration of the cart also increases.

3. Can the mass of the cart affect its acceleration down an incline?

Yes, the mass of the cart can affect its acceleration down an incline. The larger the mass of the cart, the greater the force needed to move it down the incline, resulting in a slower acceleration.

4. How does friction play a role in the motion of a rolling cart down an incline?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the cart and can slow down its acceleration. The amount of friction depends on the surface of the incline and the wheels of the cart.

5. Is there a maximum acceleration that a cart can achieve down an incline?

Yes, there is a maximum acceleration that a cart can achieve down an incline. This is known as the terminal acceleration and is dependent on the angle of the incline and the coefficient of friction between the cart's wheels and the surface of the incline.