Max Speed of Trebuchet: 24 m/s

In summary, the war-wolf, or trebuchet, is a device used during the Middle Ages to throw rocks at castles and now sometimes used to fling pumpkins and pianos. A simple trebuchet is shown in Figure P8.77. The Iw2 part isn't relevant. The mv2 part is. You need to use torque to throw the object of smaller mass. You can use conservation of energy to find the maximum speed that the object of smaller mass attains.
Zukie91

Homework Statement

1. Homework Statement
A war-wolf, or trebuchet, is a device used during the Middle Ages to throw rocks at castles and now sometimes used to fling pumpkins and pianos. A simple trebuchet is shown in Figure P8.77. Model it as a stiff rod of negligible mass 3.00 m long and joining particles of mass 60.0 kg and 0.120 kg at its ends. It can turn on a frictionless horizontal axle perpendicular to the rod and 14.0 cm from the particle of larger mass. The rod is released from rest in a horizontal orientation. Find the maximum speed that the object of smaller mass attains.
Image: http://www.grabup.com/uploads/e7490c945283118e547daa00676d2d28.png
2. The attempt at a solution

don't even know where to start, any help is much appreciated
(the answer is 24m/s but i don't know how to get that)
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Zukie91 said:
Model it as a stiff rod of negligible mass 3.00 m long and joining particles of mass 60.0 kg and 0.120 kg at its ends. It can turn on a frictionless horizontal axle perpendicular to the rod and 14.0 cm from the particle of larger mass. The rod is released from rest in a horizontal orientation. Find the maximum speed that the object of smaller mass attains

Hi Zukie91! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: use conservation of energy (KE + PE = constant). :smile:

i noticed that there is another thread asking the same question which nobody replied to. On that thread, under relevant equations, KvnBushi listed this
[tex]K = \frac{1}{2} I_{cm} w^2 + \frac{1}{2} M v_{cm}^2[/tex]
is that actually relevant?
ok i can't get that latex code or whatever it is to work properly, i'll just link the other thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=200958

Zukie91 said:
… under relevant equations, KvnBushi listed this
K = \frac{1}{2} I_{cm} w^2 + \frac{1}{2} M v_{cm}^2
is that actually relevant?
ok i can't get that latex code or whatever it is to work properly, i'll just link the other thread …

(LaTeX isn't working at the moment. :cry:)

The Iw2 part isn't relevant.

The mv2 part is. :smile:

i appreciate you help btw,
do i need to use torque?
i'm sorry I'm just not getting this problem
and how do i use pe if i don't have the height?
oh wait, would the 14 cm be the height?
and i made a typo on the answer, it should be 24.5 m/s not 24 m/s

Last edited:
Zukie91 said:
do i need to use torque?

No … just KE + PE = constant.
and how do i use pe if i don't have the height?
oh wait, would the 14 cm be the height?

sort-of … but 14cm is the length of the whole rod, and it isn't the end of the rod that's fixed, is it? :wink:

it says the whole rod is 3.00 m long, and that the axel is 14.0 cm from the larger mass, which means its 2.86 m from the projectile right?

… oops!

Zukie91 said:
it says the whole rod is 3.00 m long, and that the axel is 14.0 cm from the larger mass, which means its 2.86 m from the projectile right?

oops … I misread the question! :redface:

Yes, you're right … the PE for the two masses will be based on .14 and 2.86 (at maximum height difference).

Now how will you work out the KEs? :smile:

so am i going to be using
1/2mv^2i + mghi = 1/2mv^2f + mghf
i'm not sure when i should use which mass, or if i should add/subtract them

Zukie91 said:
so am i going to be using
1/2mv^2i + mghi = 1/2mv^2f + mghf
i'm not sure when i should use which mass, or if i should add/subtract them

ah … KE + PE = constant, so if you increase the KE from 0, you must decrease the PE … so it's minus. :smile:

what is minus?
and how does this only have to do w/ pe and ke, and nothing to do with rotation, if its rotating around an axle?

Zukie91 said:
what is minus?
and how does this only have to do w/ pe and ke, and nothing to do with rotation, if its rotating around an axle?

The gh has a minus in front of it: m(v2/2 - gh).

And the question tells you to model the masses as particles, so all you need to know is their speeds. :smile:

were you able to get the correct answer with this method, because i think i get what you are saying, and cannot get the problem right using any combination of m and h

ok i don't think I'm really getting anywhere, would you mind setting up the eq, and i'll try to figure out what i was doing wrong from there?

Hi Zukie91! :smile:
Zukie91 said:
were you able to get the correct answer with this method, because i think i get what you are saying, and cannot get the problem right using any combination of m and h
Zukie91 said:
ok i don't think I'm really getting anywhere, would you mind setting up the eq, and i'll try to figure out what i was doing wrong from there?

Been asleep … :zzz:

I've checked the answer, and 24.5 is roughly correct.

Hint: if the small mass has speed 24.5, then the large mass has speed 24.5 x 0.14/2.86 = 1.2

Does that help? :smile:

(if not, show us your calculations)

still not getting it :( I'm closer but not right yet
i'm doing
deltaPE=deltaKE
mgh1-mgh2=1/2Mv12+1/2mv22
(60*9.8*.14) - (.12*9.8*2.86) + 30v12 + .06v22
78.96=30v12 +.06v22
then using the proportion v1/v2 = .14/2.87 i get that v2 = 20.5 v1
substituting that in for v2
i get 78.96=31.23v2
which simplifies to v=1.59 which when divided by .14/2.86 is 32.48 which is still wrong :(

Zukie91 said:
then using the proportion v1/v2 = .14/2.87 i get that v2 = 20.5 v1
substituting that in for v2
i get 78.96=31.23v2

Hi Zukie91! :smile:

Your 31.23 is wrong … you forgot to square. :frown:

wait, what did i forget to square?

oh, duh, thank you so much. really appreciate all your help

1. What is a trebuchet?

A trebuchet is a type of medieval siege weapon that uses a counterweight to launch projectiles at high speeds.

2. How does a trebuchet work?

A trebuchet works by using the gravitational potential energy of a counterweight to rotate a throwing arm, which then releases a projectile at high speeds.

3. How fast can a trebuchet launch a projectile?

The maximum speed of a trebuchet can vary depending on factors such as the weight of the counterweight and the design of the throwing arm. However, the maximum speed of a trebuchet is typically around 24 meters per second.

4. What is the significance of the max speed of 24 m/s?

The max speed of a trebuchet is important because it determines the range and impact of the projectile. A higher speed means the projectile can travel farther and with more force.

5. Can a trebuchet be used for other purposes besides warfare?

Yes, trebuchets have been used for other purposes such as launching objects in festivals or competitions, as well as for educational demonstrations in physics classes.