Need help before quiz today. Kinematics

You know how far it travels in 4.5 seconds. The ball takes 4.5 seconds to return from the top of its arc. You can write an equation for that. You know the elevator drops 1/2 at² from rest. You know the ball drops 1/2 gt² in 4.5 seconds. Set them equal and solve for a.
joeth04

Homework Statement

An elevator accelerates from the ground with a uniform acceleration 'a.' After 4.0 seconda, an object is dropped out an opening in the floor of the elevator and that object hits the ground 4.5 seconds later.

a) what is the value of the acceleration 'a?'

b) How high was the elevator when the object was dropped?

c) What is the speed of the object when it hits the ground?

Homework Equations

V=Vo+at
X=Xo+Vot+1/2(a)(t^2 )
V^2=Vo^2+2a(x-Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
joeth04 said:

Homework Statement

An elevator accelerates from the ground with a uniform acceleration 'a.' After 4.0 seconda, an object is dropped out an opening in the floor of the elevator and that object hits the ground 4.5 seconds later.

a) what is the value of the acceleration 'a?'

b) How high was the elevator when the object was dropped?

c) What is the speed of the object when it hits the ground?

Homework Equations

V=Vo+at
X=Xo+Vot+1/2(a)(t^2 )
V^2=Vo^2+2a(x-Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

As it drops out the elevator what speed is the object going up? Because the object will continue upward until returning by gravity.

Develop equations from the variables you know to find those you don't. That's always the way.

V(elevator) = 0+a(4.0)?
i don't understand how to do it, that's why i posted on here lol could you show the solution for this one so i understand how it works? :/

joeth04 said:
V(elevator) = 0+a(4.0)?
i don't understand how to do it, that's why i posted on here lol could you show the solution for this one so i understand how it works? :/

Ok that's a start.

Now how much longer until it hits? That's given as 4.5 seconds.

Now what is the height it was released from? H = + 1/2 a t2 = 1/2 a (4)2 = 16/2 * a = 8a

It's getting easier and easier to get to the solution.

So to model the x position of the object we know it is originally 8*a, to which we add +Vo*(t)
and the subtract the effect of gravity - 1/2*g*t2

X = 0 = 8*a +(4a) * (4.5) - 1/2*g*(4.5)2

We set X = 0, it hits the ground 0, because we want to solve for "a".

Looks like that yields the "a" that you need to solve for everything.

Last edited:
please correct me if I'm incorrect, this is just my attempt..

dist. traveled by the elevator the moment the ball falls = dist. traveled by the ball when it hits the ground

Since the ball takes 4.5 seconds to reach the ground, under the effect of gravity, the ball would have traveled 1/2 * a * t² = 1/2 * 9.8 * 4.5² = 99.225 m

So, 99.225 = 1/2 * a * 4²
a = 12.4 ms-2

(a) 12.4ms-2

(b) 99.225m

(c) v = at = 44.1 ms-1

Last edited:
nyrychvantel said:
please corrent me if I'm correct, this is just my attempt..

dist. traveled by the elevator the moment the ball falls = dist. traveled by the ball when it hits the ground

Since the ball takes 4.5 seconds to reach the ground, under the effect of gravity, the ball would have traveled 1/2 * a * t² = 1/2 * 9.8 * 4.5² = 99.225 m

So, 99.225 = 1/2 * a * 4²
a = 12.4 ms-2

(a) 12.4ms-2

(b) 99.225m

(c) v = at = 44.1 ms-1

Sorry but that answer is incorrect because you neglected to account for the upward velocity of the ball when released.

thanks for pointing out my mistake, so does it mean that if an object is traveling upward with certain velocity, and is suddenly released, it doesn't obey the normal free-fall rule? (assume air resistance is neglected)

nyrychvantel said:
thanks for pointing out my mistake, so does it mean that if an object is traveling upward with certain velocity, and is suddenly released, it doesn't obey the normal free-fall rule? (assume air resistance is neglected)

It acts of course, at that point, as any object in a uniformly accelerated field. When you know the initial velocity up and the height it is released, then you can relate that to the time to drop.

My earlier post suggests a path to solution.

1. How do I calculate velocity and acceleration?

To calculate velocity, divide the change in an object's displacement by the change in time. Acceleration, on the other hand, can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time.

2. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time it took to travel that distance. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time.

3. Can you explain the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity takes into account the direction of motion as well. So, an object can have the same speed but different velocities if it is moving in different directions.

4. How can I use kinematic equations to solve problems?

Kinematic equations are mathematical equations that relate distance, velocity, acceleration, and time. By plugging in known values and rearranging the equations, you can solve for the unknown variable.

5. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities in kinematics?

Scalar quantities have only magnitude (size or amount) and no direction, such as speed or distance. Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or displacement.