Proof - the derivative of a scalar multiple

In summary: When dividing out the scalar multiple, the h needs to be taken into account. Without it, the proof goes to infinity or negative infinity or zero.
hayesk85

Homework Statement

I am confused how the scalar multiple is divided out of the proof of this rule without taking an h with it in the denominator, which would get very tiny meaning the entire thing would go to infinity or negative infinity or zero, you can't tell.

Start with: f(x) = k g(x) End: f'(x) = k g'(x)

Homework Equations

This is the proof I was given:

f'(x) = lim(h->0) [k g(x+h) - k g(x)] / h

f'(x) = lim(h->0) [k {g(x+h) - g(x)}] /h

Next step I do not agree with: (Never mind -this is legal, right?)
f'(x) = lim(h->0) k [{g(x+h) - g(x)}/h]

f'(x) = k lim(h->0) [{g(x+h) - g(x)}/h]

f'(x) = k g'(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I think would happen at the step I disagree with:

f'(x) = lim(h->0) k/h * [{g(x+h) - g(x)}/h]

f'(x) = lim(h->0) k/h * lim(h->0) [{g(x+h) - g(x)}/h]

f'(x) = ? * g'(x)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(k/h)*(g(x+h)-g(x))/h=(k*g(x+h)-k*g(x))/h^2. That's not equal to (k*g(x+h)-k*g(x))/h. Why would you do that?

Check out the presentation of the formal definition of "limit" (the "delta-epsilon" formality):
http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/53403.html"

That doesn't answer your question, I know. But it's an unusually interesting discussion of what is really meant by "limit".

jf

Last edited by a moderator:
hayesk85 said:

Homework Statement

I am confused how the scalar multiple is divided out of the proof of this rule without taking an h with it in the denominator, which would get very tiny meaning the entire thing would go to infinity or negative infinity or zero, you can't tell.

Start with: f(x) = k g(x) End: f'(x) = k g'(x)

Homework Equations

This is the proof I was given:

f'(x) = lim(h->0) [k g(x+h) - k g(x)] / h

f'(x) = lim(h->0) [k {g(x+h) - g(x)}] /h

Next step I do not agree with: (Never mind -this is legal, right?)
f'(x) = lim(h->0) k [{g(x+h) - g(x)}/h]

f'(x) = k lim(h->0) [{g(x+h) - g(x)}/h]

f'(x) = k g'(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I think would happen at the step I disagree with:

f'(x) = lim(h->0) k/h * [{g(x+h) - g(x)}/h]
That's just bad algebra. You now have two "h" s in the denominators.

f'(x) = lim(h->0) k/h * lim(h->0) [{g(x+h) - g(x)}/h]f'(x) = ? * g'(x)

What is the definition of the derivative of a scalar multiple?

The derivative of a scalar multiple is the result of multiplying the derivative of a function by a constant. This means that when finding the derivative of a scalar multiple, the constant can be pulled out of the derivative and multiplied to the resulting derivative.

Can the derivative of a scalar multiple be simplified?

Yes, the derivative of a scalar multiple can be simplified by pulling the constant out of the derivative and multiplying it to the resulting derivative. This can help simplify the overall expression and make calculations easier.

How is the derivative of a scalar multiple used in real-world applications?

The derivative of a scalar multiple is used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to find the rate of change in a physical system, such as the acceleration of a moving object. It can also be used to determine the marginal cost or revenue in economics.

Is the derivative of a scalar multiple always equal to the scalar multiple of the derivative?

Yes, the derivative of a scalar multiple is always equal to the scalar multiple of the derivative. This is a fundamental property of derivatives and can be easily proved using the definition of the derivative.

Can the derivative of a scalar multiple be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a scalar multiple can be negative. This depends on the function and the value of the constant being multiplied. In some cases, the constant may make the resulting derivative negative, while in others it may be positive or even zero.