Earthquake Weather: Hazy & Hot at 90°F

In summary: I've heard people say that the weather before earthquakes is often strange. Yesterday was very hot and hazy, and the weather website said it was 90 degrees F at sundown. I think it's possible that the heat and humidity increased the pressure in the air, causing the earthquake.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have heard people talk about "earthquake weather" and we had weird weather today. Hazy and very hot with warm winds. The weather website said it was 90 degrees F at sundown.

This was copied from another thread where Math Is Hard experienced an earthquake while making a post - Ivan
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=260674

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
I have heard people talk about "earthquake weather" and we had weird weather today. Hazy and very hot with warm winds. The weather website said it was 90 degrees F at sundown.

I think there is something to this claim for two reasons: First, my dad inadvertently predicted the 1971 Sylmar quake. The night before while we were all seated for dinner, out of the blue, he looked out the window and announced that this was earthquake weather. He never said that before or since. And beyond this, there was a strange calm in the air that night. It is difficult to identify precisely any characteristic, but a strange calm is the best that I can recall. Perhaps it relates to reduced activity for birds and other animals - possibly sensing precursive activity. Or, maybe we can sense pressure changes in advance of some quakes... And there is some evidence that Radon is released in advance of some quakes, so I wonder if this might have an effect on the atmosphere. I distinctly recall that the sun was setting when we sat for dinner, and the sky did look unusual. We all noticed it, and this seemed to be what caught my dad's eye. [edit: Hazy is a word that sort of works for me, but I have thought about this from time to time, and I suspect that there may even be something to the color of the sky... not sure. It has been too long]

Years later I asked him about this. He didn't even remember saying it, but having grown up in earthquake country, he guessed that it was instinctive. He didn't recall anyone telling him about it or what might be the indicators.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I think there is something to this claim for two reasons: First, my dad inadvertently predicted the 1971 Sylmar quake. The night before while we were all seated for dinner, out of the blue, he looked out the window and announced that this was earthquake weather. He never said that before or since. And beyond this, there was a strange calm in the air that night. It is difficult to identify precisely any characteristic, but a strange calm is the best that I can recall. Perhaps it relates to reduced activity for birds and other animals - possibly sensing precursive activity. Or, maybe we can sense pressure changes in advance of some quakes... And there is some evidence that Radon is released in advance of some quakes, so I wonder if this might have an effect on the atmosphere. I distinctly recall that the sun was setting when we sat for dinner, and the sky did look unusual. We all noticed it, and this seemed to be what caught my dad's eye. [edit: Hazy is a word that sort of works for me, but I have thought about this from time to time, and I suspect that there may even be something to the color of the sky... not sure. It has been too long]

Years later I asked him about this. He didn't even remember saying it, but having grown up in earthquake country, he guessed that it was instinctive. He didn't recall anyone telling him about it or what might be the indicators.

I think there's something to it, also.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "earthquake weather"?

"Earthquake weather" is a term that refers to the belief that certain weather conditions can indicate an increased likelihood of an earthquake occurring. It is not a scientifically proven concept and there is no evidence to support a correlation between weather and seismic activity.

2. Why is "earthquake weather" often described as hazy and hot at 90°F?

This description of "earthquake weather" is based on anecdotal observations and personal beliefs rather than scientific evidence. It is often associated with hazy and hot weather because these conditions are commonly experienced in regions that are prone to earthquakes, but there is no scientific basis for this connection.

3. Can weather patterns really predict earthquakes?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that weather patterns can predict earthquakes. Earthquakes are caused by movements in the Earth's crust and are not influenced by weather conditions. Seismologists use sophisticated equipment and data analysis to monitor and predict seismic activity, not weather patterns.

4. Is it true that animals can sense earthquakes before they happen?

There is some evidence that certain animals may be able to sense changes in the environment before an earthquake, but this is not a reliable method for predicting seismic activity. Animals may exhibit unusual behavior due to factors unrelated to earthquakes, such as changes in air pressure or electromagnetic fields. Therefore, animal behavior should not be used as a reliable indicator of earthquake activity.

5. What are the real indicators of earthquake activity?

The most reliable indicators of earthquake activity are data collected by seismometers and other instruments that measure seismic waves. These instruments can detect and record even very small earthquakes, allowing scientists to monitor and study seismic activity. Changes in the Earth's crust, such as ground deformation or unusual patterns of seismic waves, can also be used to predict potential earthquakes. However, predicting exact timing and location of earthquakes remains a challenge for scientists.