How Should Dopant Density Influence Barrier Height in Schottky Diodes?

In summary, the conversation is centered around designing Schottky diodes and the equations used to calculate current. The main issue at hand is a possible error in the barrier height function, which may be related to the absence of dopant density in the equations. The correct equation for barrier height is also mentioned and resources for further clarification are provided.
energymover
Hi,

Is this the correct place to post this? Perhaps it's more of a physics question. I'm trying to write a small program to design basic Schottky diodes. I'm using the following equation to calculate the current produced by a small applied voltage, far below Vt -->

I = A * Aast * T^2 * exp(-barrier/Vt) * exp(V/(n*Vt) - 1)

where barrier is the barrier height, A is the contact area, T is temp in kelvin, Vt is thermal voltage, V is applied voltage, n is ideality constant, and Aast is the Richardson constant -->

A = 4 * PI * q * m * k^2 / h^3

where m is the effective electron mass.

Everything seems fine except for my barrier height function, which is -->

if(ntype) {
barrier = F - Eea;
} else {
barrier = Eg - F + Eea;
}

Obviously something's missing, because there's no dopant density in the equations. An increase in dopant density will increase the current. I'm confident the current (I) equation is correct, so it must be the barrier height equation.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Paul

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'll do my best to address this question, but take it with a grain of salt since I am not a semiconductor expert. You have a typo in your equation--the last term should read

[tex]\exp{\frac{V}{nV_t}}-1[/tex]

The barrier height is

[tex]V_D=\frac{qN_d \lambda_0^2}{2\epsilon}[/tex]

where Nd is the donor density and [tex]\lambda_0[/tex] is the barrier width (the point where the field drops to zero in the simple "abrupt junction" model). Henisch's book "Semiconductor Contacts" has a clear discussion of this material in Sections 2.1 to 2.2.4.

The equation you wrote, however, refers to the thermionic emission regime, where electron energy exceeds the junction barrier height. I wonder if this is inappropriate for your case where the forward applied voltage is "far below" the thermal voltage Vt. You probably want the diffusion-drift equation, which looks similar except for different (and temperature-independent) leading constants. See Henisch again, or you can check out this on-line reference
http://ece-www.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/chapter3/ch3_4.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:

I would suggest considering the dopant density in your barrier height equation as it can have a significant impact on the current produced by a Schottky diode. Additionally, you may want to check if your equation for barrier height is taking into account any other factors such as bandgap narrowing or Fermi level pinning. It may also be helpful to consult relevant literature or seek guidance from a colleague who has experience with Schottky diode design. Good luck with your program!

1. How do you calculate barrier height?

The barrier height can be calculated using the formula E = h^2/(2mL^2), where E is the energy of the barrier, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and L is the width of the barrier.

2. What units are used for barrier height?

The units for barrier height are typically in Joules (J) or electron volts (eV). However, other units such as kilocalories per mole (kcal/mol) or kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) may also be used.

3. How does barrier height affect reaction rates?

The higher the barrier height, the slower the reaction rate. This is because a higher barrier height requires more energy for the particles to overcome, making the reaction slower.

4. What factors can influence barrier height?

The factors that can influence barrier height include the mass of the particles involved, the width of the barrier, the energy of the particles, and any external forces or interactions present.

5. Can the barrier height be negative?

No, the barrier height cannot be negative as it represents the energy required for particles to overcome a barrier. Negative energies would indicate that the particles have enough energy to pass through the barrier without any resistance.