Predicting Particle Movement with Air Resistance: A Simple Example"

• Thread starter Georgepowell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topics of mechanics and core/pure mathematics, specifically the concepts of predicting the movement of a particle under gravity and integrating functions. The individual is seeking confirmation on their solution for a problem involving air resistance and a particle's velocity over time.
Georgepowell
I have done M1, M2, C1 C2 C3 & C4 (A level maths modules, M meaning mechanics and C meaning core/pure). In M2 we learned how to predict how a particle moves under gravity when projected at an angle, and we always ignored air resistance. In C4 we have learned how to integrate a whole range of functions. This is not homework or school work

I wondered how to predict the movement of a particle if the air resistance WAS taken into account. So I tried to figure it out and I just need to know if I have done it right. Here is the [very simple] example:

A particle of mass one kg is initially traveling at 10m/s, air resistance is equal to a tenth of its current velocity. Find its velocity in terms of time.

I wrote:

F = ma
v/10 = a
a = v/10

acceleration is also dv/dt so:

dv/dt = v/10
1/v dv = 1/10 dt
integrate both sides you get:
ln(v) = t/10 + lnA
v = Ae^(t/10)

t = 0, v = 10

10 = Ae^0

so final answer is:

v = 10e^(t/10)

is this right? is there another way to do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's almost right.

a = -v/10, meaning that acceleration is negative (deceleration), i.e. v is decreasing.

There is an initial velocity vo = 10 m/s, at t = 0.

Make sure the limits of integration are correct.

Astronuc said:
That's almost right.

a = -v/10, meaning that acceleration is negative (deceleration), i.e. v is decreasing.

There is an initial velocity vo = 10 m/s, at t = 0.

Make sure the limits of integration are correct.

Thanks, although haven't I already taken the initial velocity into account?

t = 0, v = 10

10 = Ae^0

so final answer is:

v = 10e^(t/10)

1. What are the common mistakes to avoid when conducting an experiment?

Some common mistakes to avoid when conducting an experiment include not following the proper procedures, not controlling variables effectively, and not collecting enough data for accurate analysis. It is also important to ensure that all equipment is calibrated and in good working condition.

2. How do I know if my results are reliable?

There are several ways to determine the reliability of your results. First, you can compare your results with those of other studies on the same topic. Additionally, conducting multiple trials and obtaining consistent results is a good indicator of reliability. You can also use statistical analysis to determine the level of confidence in your results.

3. What should I do if my results do not support my hypothesis?

If your results do not support your hypothesis, it is important to re-evaluate your experimental design and consider possible sources of error. You may also want to conduct additional experiments to further investigate the topic. It is important to remember that negative results are still valuable and can lead to new discoveries.

4. How do I ensure that my experiment is ethical?

To ensure that your experiment is ethical, you must obtain informed consent from all participants and protect their privacy and confidentiality. You should also consider the potential risks and benefits of the experiment and ensure that it does not cause harm to any living beings.

5. What should I do if I make a mistake during my experiment?

If you make a mistake during your experiment, it is important to document it and make note of it in your results. Depending on the severity of the mistake, you may need to repeat the experiment or make adjustments to your data analysis. It is important to be honest and transparent about any mistakes made during the experiment.