Maping from R2 to R3 torus, finding max min and saddle points

In summary, the conversation is about a mapping function of several variables, where the goal is to find local min, max, and saddle points. The solution involves finding four points that correspond to (s,t) values and using the second derivative test on each component of the function. However, the results are not as expected, with zeros appearing in all partial derivatives. The speaker is seeking advice on how to fix this issue.
Daveyboy

Homework Statement

this is from ch9 (functions of several variables)of baby rudin

a,b real b>a>0 define a mapping f=(f1,f2),f3) of R2 into R3 by
f1(s,t)=(b+acos(s))cos(t)
f2(s,t)=(b+acos(s))sin(t)
f2(s,t)=asin(s)
I showed that there are exactly 4 points p in K=image(f) such that

gradf1(f-1(p))=0

I am having trouble finding which of these points are local min, max, and saddle points.

The Attempt at a Solution

The points in question correspond to the touple (s,t) when s=(pi)k and t=(pi)j k,j integers.

the points being +/-b +/-a

Okay great, I do not have any developed criteria for the second derivative test, I have no Hessin matrix to work with. I can develop that in my problem, but that seems rather complicated, I have been trying for a while now, and am having trouble.

Physics news on Phys.org
after applying the second derivative test to each component of f I find that at each point of the second derivative of f2 and f3 that the value is zero. So I have zeros at all point of the partial derivatives which is bad because I should have 2 saddle points 1 max and one min. Even more confusing is that in f1 I get two min and two max, no saddle points...
Any ideas

Related to Maping from R2 to R3 torus, finding max min and saddle points

1. What is the purpose of mapping from R2 to R3 torus?

Mapping from R2 to R3 torus is used to visualize a 2-dimensional surface (such as a circle or a square) in 3-dimensional space. This is helpful in understanding the shape and properties of the surface.

2. How is mapping from R2 to R3 torus performed?

Mapping from R2 to R3 torus involves taking a point in 2-dimensional space and projecting it onto a 3-dimensional torus (doughnut-shaped) surface. This is typically done by using parametric equations to define the surface.

3. What is the significance of finding max, min, and saddle points in mapping from R2 to R3 torus?

Max, min, and saddle points are critical in understanding the shape and curvature of a surface. In mapping from R2 to R3 torus, these points can help determine where the surface is convex or concave, and can aid in visualizing the overall shape of the surface.

4. How are max, min, and saddle points identified in mapping from R2 to R3 torus?

To identify max, min, and saddle points in mapping from R2 to R3 torus, we use partial derivatives to find the critical points (where the derivative is equal to 0). Then, we use the second derivative test to determine the type of critical point (max, min, or saddle).

5. What are some potential applications of mapping from R2 to R3 torus?

Mapping from R2 to R3 torus has various applications in fields such as computer graphics, physics, and mathematics. It can be used to model real-world objects and phenomena, create 3-dimensional visualizations of mathematical concepts, and aid in understanding the behavior of surfaces in different dimensions.