Galilean Telescope: Taking Photos with Digital Camera

In summary, the conversation is about using a Galilean telescope with a 10x eyepiece and 100cm focal length lens to view the craters of the moon. The person wants to take a picture of the moon using a digital camera, but is having trouble getting a clear image. They are seeking advice and are directed to a forum thread discussing afocal imaging.
r.vittalkiran
I have an Galilean telescope with me...with 1Ox EYEPIECE and 100cm Focal lengthlens at the other end...
I can see the craters of the moon properly with it,
i require to take a snap of it using my digital camera...
but not able to get a proper image in camera.
What can i do? any Idea?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
What you are trying to do is called afocal imaging. The problem you may be having is the autofocus on your camera might not believe that it needs to focus to infinity. Try setting it manually if you can.

@tiny-tim
yep,... went into that thread... quite interesting!
@russ_watters
will come back to this after reading it

I would suggest adjusting the focus of the telescope and camera to ensure that the image is clear. Additionally, using a tripod or stabilizing the telescope can help to reduce any shaking or movement that may affect the image quality. It may also be helpful to use a remote shutter release or timer to avoid any movement when taking the photo. Experimenting with different camera settings, such as exposure and ISO, can also improve the quality of the image. Lastly, make sure the camera lens is clean and free from any smudges or debris that may impact the clarity of the image.

1. What is a Galilean Telescope?

A Galilean Telescope is a type of telescope invented by Galileo Galilei in the 17th century. It uses a convex lens as its objective lens and a concave lens as its eyepiece, allowing for a magnified view of distant objects.

2. How does a Galilean Telescope work?

A Galilean Telescope works by using the convex lens to gather light from a distant object and focus it onto the concave lens. The concave lens then magnifies the image and directs it to the viewer's eye, allowing them to see a closer and clearer image of the object.

3. Can a Galilean Telescope take photos with a digital camera?

Yes, a Galilean Telescope can be used to take photos with a digital camera by attaching the camera to the eyepiece using a specialized adapter. This allows for high-quality photos of the magnified view to be captured.

4. What are the advantages of using a Galilean Telescope for taking photos?

One advantage of using a Galilean Telescope for taking photos is its compact size and lightweight design, making it easy to transport and use in different locations. Additionally, the use of a digital camera allows for instant viewing and sharing of photos.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Galilean Telescope for taking photos?

One limitation of using a Galilean Telescope for taking photos is its fixed magnification, which may not be suitable for capturing distant or small objects. Another limitation is the need for a stable base or tripod to prevent blurry photos caused by hand movements.