Electric Potential at point where Electric Field is Zero

In summary: E due to a negative charge can point in any direction, as long as that direction is away from the charge. E due to a positive charge can point in any direction, as long as that direction is towards the charge.b) What is the magnitude of the electric field at the two points on the x-axis where the electric potential is zero? (Input your answers in order of increasing distance from the negative point chargeHomework EquationsE = kq/r^2V=kq/rwhere k=9x10^9r is the radiusq is the chargeThe Attempt at a Solutiona) So below is
Tina20

Homework Statement

a) A -10.1 nC point charge and a +18.9 nC point charge are 13.8 cm apart on the x-axis. What is the electric potential at the point on the x-axis where the electric field is zero?

b) What is the magnitude of the electric field at the two points on the x-axis where the electric potential is zero? (Input your answers in order of increasing distance from the negative point charge

Homework Equations

E = kq/r^2
V=kq/r

where k=9x10^9
r is the radius
q is the charge

The Attempt at a Solution

a) So below is the equation I used but I am getting a negative number for r...someone please help, this is due by this Friday at midnight!

[kq1/(r+d)^2] + [kq2/r^2] = 0
[9x10^9 (-10.1x10-9)/(r + 0.138m)^2] + [9x10^9(18.9x10-9)/r^2] = 0
[-90.9/(r + 0.138m)^2] + [170.1/r^2] = 0
-90.9/(r + 0.138m)^2 = -170.1/r^2
-90.9/-170.1 = (r + 0.138m)^2 / r^2
0.53439 = (r + 0.138m)^2 / r^2
SQRT(0.53439) = (r + 0.138m)/r
0.731202 = r+0.138/r
0.73102r = r+0.138
0.73102r - r = 0.138
-0.268979r = 0.138
r = 0.138/-0.268979
r = -0.51305m

A distance can not be negative, so either my math is wrong or my process of equating the two is wrong. Some help would be greatly appreciated! Then hopefully I will be able to solve part b :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Tina20 said:

Homework Statement

a) A -10.1 nC point charge and a +18.9 nC point charge are 13.8 cm apart on the x-axis. What is the electric potential at the point on the x-axis where the electric field is zero?

b) What is the magnitude of the electric field at the two points on the x-axis where the electric potential is zero? (Input your answers in order of increasing distance from the negative point charge

Homework Equations

E = kq/r^2
V=kq/r

where k=9x10^9
r is the radius
q is the charge

The Attempt at a Solution

a) So below is the equation I used but I am getting a negative number for r...someone please help, this is due by this Friday at midnight!
What time zone are you in?
Okay, you do need to consider the possibility that the solution could be at a negative value of the x-coordinate. So r would really be x in this equation.

Be careful with what is negative and what is positive. E=kq/r2 gives the magnitude of E. You have to use the rule that E points away from a positive charge and towards a negative charge, in order to figure out if the terms are positive or negative.

For example, to the right side of the positive charge, E (due to that charge) points to the right away from the charge, and is negative. But to the left of the positive charge, E (due to that charge) would point to the left to point away from the charge, and would be negative.

[-90.9/(r + 0.138m)^2] + [170.1/r^2] = 0
-90.9/(r + 0.138m)^2 = -170.1/r^2
-90.9/-170.1 = (r + 0.138m)^2 / r^2
0.53439 = (r + 0.138m)^2 / r^2
SQRT(0.53439) = (r + 0.138m)/r
0.731202 = r+0.138/r
0.73102r = r+0.138
0.73102r - r = 0.138
-0.268979r = 0.138
r = 0.138/-0.268979
r = -0.51305m

A distance can not be negative, so either my math is wrong or my process of equating the two is wrong. Some help would be greatly appreciated! Then hopefully I will be able to solve part b :)

The only other thing I'll point out is that the square root of something gives a +/- solution.

Ok, I am still not understanding what I am doing wrong and why my answer is not right. I have tried with positive and negative values of the square root and still the answer is incorrect. Can someone please help to show me where exactly I am going wrong?

Tina20 said:
Can someone please help to show me where exactly I am going wrong?
Okay.
Tina20 said:

For starters, you seem to think you are looking for "r", the distance from the positive charge. Here is the problem with that thinking: supposed you were to find that r=2 cm. Would that be 2 cm to the right, or 2 cm to the left, of the positive charge?

Instead, realize that we are looking for a point somewhere along the x-axis. So it's better to write the equation in terms of "x", the position along the x-axis, instead of "r".

Here, you seem to think that E due to the negative charge must always point in the negative direction. And also that E due to the positive charge must point in the positive direction.

Neither of these are necessarily true.

What is electric potential at a point where electric field is zero?

Electric potential at a point where electric field is zero is also known as the equipotential point. It is the point where the electric potential energy is the same at all points around it. This means that no work is required to move a charge from one point to another within the equipotential point.

How is the electric potential at a point where electric field is zero calculated?

The electric potential at a point where electric field is zero is calculated using the formula V = kq/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where electric field is zero. This formula is derived from the definition of electric potential energy.

What does it mean for an electric field to be zero at a point?

When an electric field is zero at a point, it means that there is no force acting on a charge at that point. This could be due to a cancellation of forces from multiple charges or the absence of any charge in the vicinity. It is important to note that the electric potential can still vary at this point, as it is a measure of potential energy rather than a force.

Can electric potential at a point where electric field is zero be negative?

Yes, electric potential at a point where electric field is zero can be negative. This is because electric potential is a scalar quantity and can have both positive and negative values. A negative electric potential at a point where electric field is zero indicates that the potential energy of a charge at that point is lower than the potential energy at the reference point.

How is the concept of electric potential at a point where electric field is zero used in practical applications?

The concept of electric potential at a point where electric field is zero is used in various practical applications, such as in the design and functioning of electronic circuits and devices. It is also used in the study of electric fields and their behavior, as well as in the calculation of the electric potential energy of a charge in a system.