Strange maxwell boltzmann statistics, what is it actually?

In summary: I'm not sure if it's the best choice if you're taking a higher-level course on the subject, though.Sorry, I was wrong about the formula -- it should beE_n = h^2 n^2/(8mL^2) .I was thinking of the particle in a box problem in quantum mechanics, which was slightly different.
jessicaw
Originally, it is derived from the weight of a confuguration,i.e. how electrons are distributied in different energy level:n=gexp(a+be)
It gives the number of electrons in each energy level.However suddenly it can be apply to a cloud of gas?? By dividing a box of gas into different energy and see how many gas atoms in each energy. My professor said it is pseudo energy level in phase space.

So now an atom becomes a box of gas? Each energy level of atom becomes a division of a cloud of gas? Or am i missing anything(as i think the all gas atoms in the cloud of gas has the same energy)? I cannot find any rigorous proof of this analogy.

Help explaining this. My professor just runs away after each lecture so i do not have chance to ask her and we are all afraid of her. Also she does not use textbook and she teaches MB stat, boseeinstein stat, fermi dirac stat without any introduction on what does the distribution mean(to atom/ to gas),just a lot of equations and derivations and i do not know what to do now excpet memorizing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jessicaw said:
Originally, it is derived from the weight of a confuguration,i.e. how electrons are distributied in different energy level:n=gexp(a+be)
It gives the number of electrons in each energy level.
You have misunderstood your professor. Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics apply to macroscopic particle systems ie those containing a large number of particles whose interactions can be modeled without regard to quantum effects. The energy distribution of particles in such systems in thermodynamic equilibrium (eg. a gas) follows the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution.

An electron in an atom obeys quantum statistics. A single atom does not have a temperature. Energy levels in an atom obey quantum statistics not Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
You have misunderstood your professor. Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics apply to macroscopic particle systems ie those containing a large number of particles whose interactions can be modeled without regard to quantum effects. The energy distribution of particles in such systems in thermodynamic equilibrium (eg. a gas) follows the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution.

An electron in an atom obeys quantum statistics. A single atom does not have a temperature. Energy levels in an atom obey quantum statistics not Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics.

AM

But maxwell Boltzmann statistics is derived from energy level concept, right?

jessicaw said:
But maxwell Boltzmann statistics is derived from energy level concept, right?
No. Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics were developed long before anyone understood electrons in atoms. A Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution shows how energy is distributed among a large number of particles that are in thermodynamic equilibrium (such as a volume of gas). It has nothing to do with energy levels in an atom.

AM

Just to clarify, Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics can be used to predict, given a large number of atoms in thermal equilibrium (i.e. not just a single atom), what proportion will be in a given energy level (e.g. how many in the ground state, how many in the first excited state, etc.). This is what the formula you quoted in your original post means.

The idea when applying Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics to a container full of an ideal gas is that the relevant energy levels are those obtained by solving the time-independent Schrödinger equation for an atom confined inside the container. I presume if you're studying statistical mechanics you've probably done some basic quantum mechanics, so you'll be familiar with the energy levels for a particle in a one-dimensional box (if not, you can Google for "particle in a box"):

[tex]E_n = h^2 n^2/(8mL^2)[/tex]

Thus, for gas atoms in a one-dimensional box, the probability that a given atom will be occupying the n-th state is proportional to [itex]\exp\left[-E_n/(k_B T)\right] [/itex]. You can do the same kind of thing for a three-dimensional box, you just have to take into account the three possible degrees of freedom.

As was mentioned above, Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics was originally developed before quantum mechanics. The classical version of Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics involves predicting the distribution of atoms in a continuous phase space rather than discrete energy levels. Surprisingly enough (or maybe not -- quantum mechanics should reduce to classical mechanics in the appropriate limit, after all!) this calculation gives the exact same results as the quantum mechanical version except at extremely low temperatures where the discrete nature of the quantum energy levels becomes important (at such low temperatures, you should be using Fermi-Dirac or Bose-Einstein statistics rather than Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics anyway).

If you're looking for a textbook to supplement your lectures, I can only suggest the one that was used for the introductory thermodynamics/stat-mech course I took recently, which was Thermal Physics by Daniel Schroeder. It has a pretty gentle introduction to statistical mechanics at the end.

1. What is Maxwell Boltzmann statistics?

Maxwell Boltzmann statistics is a mathematical model used to describe the distribution of speeds of particles in a gas at a given temperature. It is based on the principles of classical thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.

2. How is Maxwell Boltzmann statistics different from other statistical models?

Maxwell Boltzmann statistics is unique in that it assumes that the particles in a gas are distinguishable and that their energies are continuous. This is in contrast to other statistical models, such as Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein statistics, which assume that particles are indistinguishable and their energies are discrete.

3. What are the main applications of Maxwell Boltzmann statistics?

Maxwell Boltzmann statistics has many applications in physics and chemistry, including the study of gases, liquids, and solids. It is also used in fields such as astrophysics, where it can be applied to the behavior of particles in stars and galaxies.

4. What is the significance of the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell Boltzmann distribution is significant because it provides a way to calculate the probability of a particle having a certain speed in a given gas at a given temperature. This allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of gases and other systems based on their temperature and particle speeds.

5. How is Maxwell Boltzmann statistics related to thermodynamics?

Maxwell Boltzmann statistics is closely related to thermodynamics, as it provides a statistical explanation for the macroscopic behavior of gases and other systems. It also helps to explain concepts such as temperature, pressure, and entropy in terms of the motion and interactions of individual particles.