Optimizing Heat Engines: Finding the Temperature of the Hot Reservoir

In summary, the 20% efficient real engine is used to speed up a train from rest to 5 m/s and it is known that an ideal (Carnot) engine using the same cold and hot reservoirs would accelerate the same train from rest to a speed of 6.5 m/s using the same amount of fuel. The engines use air at 300 K as a cold reservoir. Find the temperature of the steam serving as the hot reservoir.
andrew410
A 20% efficient real engine is used to speed up a train from rest to 5 m/s. It is known that an ideal (Carnot) engine using the same cold and hot reservoirs would accelerate the same train from rest to a speed of 6.5 m/s using the same amount of fuel. The engines use air at 300 K as a cold reservoir. Find the temperature of the steam serving as the hot reservoir.

I don't know how the velocity comes into play in order to get the temperature of the steam serving as the hot reservoir. I know that the formula for efficiency is
[tex] e = \frac {W_{eng}} {|Q_{h}|} [/tex].
Any help would be great! thx! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help ?

I think I got it maybe...
Since efficiency of a Carnot engine is
[tex] e = 1 - \frac {T_{c}} {T_{h}} [/tex]
and e = .2.
So, we can reorder the formula to get,
[tex] T_{h} = \frac {T_{c}} {1-e} [/tex]
What I am confused about is then why do they give us the initial and final velocity of each engine?

andrew410 said:
I think I got it maybe...
Since efficiency of a Carnot engine is
[tex] e = 1 - \frac {T_{c}} {T_{h}} [/tex]
and e = .2.
So, we can reorder the formula to get,
[tex] T_{h} = \frac {T_{c}} {1-e} [/tex]
What I am confused about is then why do they give us the initial and final velocity of each engine?

You're wrong and have a misconception. The efficiency of a Carnot engine is not 0.2. Your problem states:

"A 20% efficient real engine is used to speed up a train from .."

A real engine is not a Carnot engine. That phrase also not mean the efficiency of the engine is the 20% of the carnot efficiency.

Let' see:

[tex] v_1=5m/s[/tex]
[tex] v_2=6.5m/s[/tex]
[tex] m=[/tex]mass of the train
[tex] m_f=[/tex]mass of the fuel employed in combustion.
[tex] L_i=[/tex] Caloric power or combustion enthalpy.

From this phrase: "It is known that an ideal (Carnot) engine using the same cold and hot reservoirs would accelerate the same train from rest to a speed of 6.5 m/s using the same amount of fuel. The engines use air at 300 K as a cold reservoir." one can write:

[tex]\eta_{carnot}=\frac{W}{Q_h}=1-\frac{T_c}{T_h}=\frac{1/2 m v_2^2}{m_f L_i}[/tex] because you need to produce a work equal to the kinetic energy needed, and the combustion heat is the fuel mass multiplied by the combustion enthalpy. So that we have the first equation:

[tex]1-\frac{T_c}{T_h}=\frac{1/2 m v_2^2}{m_f L_i} [/tex] (1);

From this phrase: "A 20% efficient real engine is used to speed up a train from rest to 5 m/s." one can write again:

[tex]\eta_{real engine}=0.2=\frac{W}{Q_h}=\frac{1/2 m v_1^2}{m_f L_i}[/tex] (2)

Dividing (1) and (2) we have:

[tex]\frac{1-\frac{T_c}{T_h}}{\eta_{real engine}}=\Big(\frac{v_2}{v_1}\Big)^2[/tex]

and solve for T_h.

You should know that going straightforward to the solution is not always the best way for solving a problem. They might be more difficult than we could think.

thx for the help!
I did think about the problem first, but that's all I could think of. yea...I need to study more or something...I'm not fully understanding the material...
anyways, thanks for the help again! :)

1. What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts heat energy into mechanical work. It typically involves the transfer of heat from a high-temperature source to a low-temperature sink, using this difference in temperature to produce work.

2. How does a heat engine work?

A heat engine works by using the difference in temperature between a hot reservoir and a cold reservoir to generate mechanical work. This is typically done through the use of a working fluid, such as steam or gas, which is heated and then expanded in a cylinder to produce motion.

3. What are the different types of heat engines?

The three main types of heat engines are internal combustion engines, external combustion engines, and thermoelectric generators. Internal combustion engines, such as car engines, use fuel combustion to produce heat and drive pistons. External combustion engines, such as steam engines, use an external heat source to heat a working fluid. Thermoelectric generators use temperature differences to generate electricity.

4. What is the efficiency of a heat engine?

The efficiency of a heat engine is the ratio of the work output to the heat input. It is typically expressed as a percentage and is limited by the laws of thermodynamics. The Carnot efficiency, which is the maximum possible efficiency of a heat engine, is determined by the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs.

5. How are heat engines used in everyday life?

Heat engines are used in a variety of everyday applications, including cars, airplanes, power plants, and refrigeration systems. They are essential for producing electricity, powering vehicles, and providing heating and cooling in buildings. Heat engines also play a crucial role in industrial processes, such as manufacturing and chemical production.