Two blocks tied to a string with mass and accelerating

In summary: I am not sure it is best to imagine that the rope has no mass; the third body helps one think about the rope as a body with mass [and the rope has to have some mass because it is not in a vacuum].I am not sure which year/level physics this question is from; if you are just starting [and you did not need to know calculus] then my way was best; if you are older and have done calculus then you could look at the problem as a continuum and integrate the forces etc.In summary, the figure shows two 2.5 kg blocks connected by a rope with a mass of 450g, and the entire assembly is accelerated upwards at 7.4 m/s^2
RadiantL

Homework Statement

The figure shows two 2.5 kg blocks connected by a rope that has a mass of 450g. The entire assembly is accelerated upwards at 7.4 m/s^

What is the tension at the bottom end of the rope, near block B

What is the tension at the at the top end of the rope, near block A

Homework Equations

I believe the relevant equation needed is just

Fnet = m * a

and Fnet = Sum of all forces

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am sure I got the first part correct, I made

Fnet = Tension - Mb * g
Mb * a = Tension - Mb * g
(Mb*a) + (Mb*g) = T
(2.5*7.4)+(2.5*9.8) = 43
Tension = 43

(correct me if I'm wrong for the above)

Now the second part I actually have no clue how to get started, I can't think up an equation that makes sense and could isolate for T

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    499 bytes · Views: 302
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
RadiantL said:

Homework Statement

The figure shows two 2.5 kg blocks connected by a rope that has a mass of 450g. The entire assembly is accelerated upwards at 7.4 m/s^

What is the tension at the bottom end of the rope, near block B

What is the tension at the at the top end of the rope, near block A

Homework Equations

I believe the relevant equation needed is just

Fnet = m * a

and Fnet = Sum of all forces

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am sure I got the first part correct, I made

Fnet = Tension - Mb * g
Mb * a = Tension - Mb * g
(Mb*a) + (Mb*g) = T
(2.5*7.4)+(2.5*9.8) = 43
Tension = 43

(correct me if I'm wrong for the above)

Now the second part I actually have no clue how to get started, I can't think up an equation that makes sense and could isolate for T

I don't see any diagram attached?? but assuming it is two masses above each other, with the rope in between..

You could replace the situation you are presented with with a three mass system and mass-less strings.

The third mass is one of 450g in between the two 2.5 kg blocks.

The tension in the lower string would then be the same as the tension near block B that you have calculated [presumably correctly; I have not checked your working/answer].
The tension in the top string would be same as the tension near block A that you are seeking.
As I said, I have not checked your work so far, just offering a conceptual way to proceed with your calculations.

Oh wow, that's a really cool approach to this question... I got the correct answer through your way :D

But I'm kinda curious to why you could change the question like that and it would work... Could you explain please? THANKS!

RadiantL said:
Oh wow, that's a really cool approach to this question... I got the correct answer through your way :D

But I'm kinda curious to why you could change the question like that and it would work... Could you explain please? THANKS!

The centre of the rope is only important if you are working out what is happening in the centre of the rope. Since you were calculating what happens at each end of the rope, you can include the rope as "just another 450g body" rather than a long object of some mass.

I have seen questions like this where they want to know "if the rope is 1m long, what is the tension 30 cm from body A?" or similar.

Even so you could then consider that 135g of the rope is above that point and 315g below; break in into a 4 body system and find the tension in the middle string, with the masses [from the bottom] 25. kg, 315g, 135g, and 2.5 kg.

note: 30cm is 30% of the 1m rope; 30% of 450g = 135g etc.

ension.

I would approach this problem by first identifying all the known variables and defining them with appropriate units. In this case, we know the masses of the blocks and the acceleration of the system, so we can write:

m1 = 2.5 kg (mass of block A)
m2 = 2.5 kg (mass of block B)
mr = 0.450 kg (mass of the rope)
a = 7.4 m/s^2 (acceleration of the system)

Next, we need to consider the forces acting on each block and the rope. The forces acting on block A are its weight (mg) and the tension force from the rope (T1). Similarly, the forces acting on block B are its weight (mg) and the tension force from the rope (T2).

Using Newton's second law, we can write equations for the net force on each block:

Fnet,A = ma = T1 - m1g
Fnet,B = ma = T2 - m2g

We can also consider the forces acting on the rope itself. The rope is experiencing a tension force at both ends, so we can write:

Fnet,rope = T1 + T2 - mr * g = ma

Since the rope is not accelerating vertically (it is being pulled up by the blocks), we can set the net force on the rope to zero and solve for T1 and T2:

T1 + T2 = mr * g = 0.450 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 = 4.41 N

Now, we can substitute this value for T2 in the equation for Fnet,A and solve for T1:

Fnet,A = ma = T1 - m1g
T1 = m1a + m1g = (2.5 kg * 7.4 m/s^2) + (2.5 kg * 9.8 m/s^2) = 43.5 N

So the tension at the top end of the rope, near block A, is 43.5 N. And the tension at the bottom end of the rope, near block B, is T2 = 4.41 N.

Overall, the important thing to remember is that the tension force in a rope is equal at both ends, but the net force on each block will be different depending on its mass and acceleration.

1. What is the definition of mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains. It is typically measured in kilograms (kg) and is a fundamental property of an object.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of a system with two blocks tied to a string?

To calculate the acceleration, you will need to use Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. In this case, the net force is the tension in the string, and the mass is the combined mass of the two blocks. So, you can use the formula a = F/m to calculate the acceleration.

3. What is the tension in the string connecting the two blocks?

The tension in the string is equal to the force needed to keep the blocks moving together at a constant acceleration. It can be calculated using the formula T = ma, where T is the tension, m is the combined mass of the blocks, and a is the acceleration.

4. Can the acceleration of the two blocks ever be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of the two blocks can be negative if the net force on the system is in the opposite direction of the motion. This can happen if there is a larger force acting on one of the blocks in the opposite direction, causing it to slow down and have a negative acceleration.

5. How does the mass of the blocks affect the acceleration of the system?

According to Newton's second law, the mass of an object is directly proportional to the amount of force needed to accelerate it. This means that the larger the mass of the blocks, the more force is needed to accelerate them at the same rate. So, the mass of the blocks will affect the acceleration of the system, with a larger mass resulting in a slower acceleration.