Can someone check my work? (Finding a common divisor T)

In summary, The student is trying to find all values of natural numbers T that satisfy the conditions T l n^2-n+3 and T l n+1. They have found that for n=4, T=5 satisfies the conditions, but they are unsure if this is true for every natural number.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Look at my work in the picture.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

image 3.jpg
I did a different method and I got 3 and 1 and still 1 is the only T that satisfies.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

Look at my work in the picture.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 46620

I did a different method and I got 3 and 1 and still 1 is the only T that satisfies.
Your photo is very difficult to read. Also, what is the statement you are trying to prove?

I'm trying to find all values of natural numbers T that satisfy T l n^2-n+3 and T l n+1

Take a look at this copy and the bottom is cut off. It is S={1}

mathematics.jpg

If n = 4, n + 1 = 5 and n^2 -n + 3 = 15, so 5 is in the set.

Mark44 said:

mtayab1994 said:
Yes, but it's not true for EVERY n in N. Aren't I correct?

Notice that I said "If n = 4".

Here's your problem statement from post #3.
mtayab1994 said:
I'm trying to find all values of natural numbers T that satisfy T l n^2-n+3 and T l n+1

There's no mention of "for every n."

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark44 said:

Yes it divides it but not for every n.

Related to Can someone check my work? (Finding a common divisor T)

1. What is a common divisor and why is it important?

A common divisor is a number that divides evenly into two or more other numbers. It is important because it helps us find the greatest common divisor, which is the largest number that divides evenly into all of the given numbers.

2. How do I find the common divisor of two numbers?

To find the common divisor of two numbers, you can list out all of the factors of each number and then compare them to find the largest number that appears in both lists. Alternatively, you can use the Euclidean algorithm which involves dividing the larger number by the smaller number and then repeating the process with the remainder until the remainder is 0.

3. Can someone check my work for finding the common divisor?

Yes, you can ask a friend, teacher, or tutor to check your work for finding the common divisor. You can also use online tools or calculators to verify your answer.

4. What is the difference between a common divisor and a greatest common divisor (GCD)?

A common divisor is a number that divides evenly into two or more other numbers. The greatest common divisor (GCD) is the largest number that divides evenly into all of the given numbers. In other words, the GCD is the largest common divisor.

5. Can there be more than one common divisor for a set of numbers?

Yes, there can be multiple common divisors for a set of numbers. For example, the numbers 12 and 18 have multiple common divisors, such as 1, 2, 3, and 6. However, there can only be one greatest common divisor (GCD) which is the largest common divisor of all the given numbers.