Nuclear Engineering from Physics

In summary: That's not how it works.Hello there, I appreciate the response. I would say my profile is slightly above mediocure which is why I listed all of my stats. What do you think of where I stand? Perhaps my writing and letters will help in the acceptance. Also I know that reading these books and beccoming fluent in the concepts should account for something I'm sure we can agree.Hello there, I appreciate the response. I would say my profile is slightly above mediocure which is why I listed all of my stats. What do you think of where I stand? Perhaps my writing and letters will help in the acceptance. Also I know that reading these books and beccoming fluent in the concepts should account for something
middlephysics
So I should be graduating next year with an AA, BS in Physics, minor in math ~3.4/3.6gpa. GRE 55% verbal 87% qualitative 4 in writing with a Physics GRE score of 710 (~55%). Undergrad research along with an REU. I can probably retake the GRE as I have another year of undergrad left.

With this being said, I will be able to read a book or two before applying to a Grad school for Nuclear Engineering (had academic scheduling problems which leaves me with time).

My question is how do schools look at someone like me without a nuke/engineering degree? I feel I should state that I have read up on the subject and this should help, but in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
middlephysics said:
So I should be graduating next year with an AA, BS in Physics, minor in math ~3.4/3.6gpa. GRE 55% verbal 87% qualitative 4 in writing with a Physics GRE score of 710 (~55%). Undergrad research along with an REU. I can probably retake the GRE as I have another year of undergrad left.

With this being said, I will be able to read a book or two before applying to a Grad school for Nuclear Engineering (had academic scheduling problems which leaves me with time).

My question is how do schools look at someone like me without a nuke/engineering degree? I feel I should state that I have read up on the subject and this should help, but in general?

In general, most nuclear engineering graduate schools will accept a student with a physics background as long as they have a competitive profile. You may have to take remedial classes in reactor physics and others depending on the program. Otherwise just apply and see what happens.

Also, you can't learn nuclear engineering from reading a book or two. It doesn't work that way.

Hello there, I appreciate the response. I would say my profile is slightly above mediocure which is why I listed all of my stats. What do you think of where I stand? Perhaps my writing and letters will help in the acceptance. Also I know that reading these books and beccoming fluent in the concepts should account for something I'm sure we can agree.

Kidphysics said:
Hello there, I appreciate the response. I would say my profile is slightly above mediocure which is why I listed all of my stats. What do you think of where I stand? Perhaps my writing and letters will help in the acceptance. Also I know that reading these books and beccoming fluent in the concepts should account for something I'm sure we can agree.

I argue you should be fine. There are plenty of nuclear engineering graduate schools out there and your profile seems competitive at a glance. Most schools will not see the physics degree as a issue.

Sending personal letters to the graduate school will probably not help your case. Most schools will only be concerned with the required materials for admission.

Kidphysics said:
Forgot which sockpuppet you started the thread as, eh? Which account do you want to keep? It's against the rules to have more than one account.

And no, you won't get credit for reading books.

What is nuclear engineering from physics?

Nuclear engineering from physics is a specialized field of engineering that combines principles from both nuclear physics and engineering to study and develop applications of nuclear energy. It involves the design, development, and operation of nuclear reactors, as well as the use of nuclear materials for medical, industrial, and other purposes.

What are the main areas of study in nuclear engineering from physics?

The main areas of study in nuclear engineering from physics include nuclear physics, radiation protection, reactor design and operation, waste management, and nuclear materials. Students also learn about nuclear safety, nuclear fuel cycle, and nuclear power plant economics.

What are the career opportunities for nuclear engineering from physics graduates?

Graduates with a degree in nuclear engineering from physics can pursue careers in various industries, including nuclear power, medical and industrial applications of nuclear technology, and research and development. They can work as nuclear engineers, health physicists, radiation protection officers, and nuclear safety analysts.

What skills are required for a career in nuclear engineering from physics?

A career in nuclear engineering from physics requires strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a good understanding of nuclear physics and engineering principles. Other important skills include attention to detail, critical thinking, and proficiency in computer software and data analysis.

What are some current challenges in the field of nuclear engineering from physics?

Some current challenges in the field of nuclear engineering from physics include the safe disposal of nuclear waste, the development of more efficient and sustainable nuclear energy technologies, and addressing public concerns about the safety and environmental impact of nuclear power. Additionally, there is a growing need for diversity and inclusion in the field, as well as addressing the aging workforce and attracting young talent to the industry.