Max Allowable Deviation for Projectile Range of 50km

In summary, the maximum allowable deviation from a vertical trajectory for the rocket landing within 50km of its launch site is 0.0232 radians, which is obtained by taking the vertical acceleration as the magnitude of the gravitational acceleration.
negation

Homework Statement

After a short engine firiing, an atmosphere-probing rocket reaches 4.6km/s. If the rocket must land within 50km of its launc site, what's the max allowable deviation from a vertical trajectory.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Given by the book:

x = (vi^2/g)sin 2Θ

50,000m = (vi^2/-9.8)sin 2Θ

sin2Θ = (gx/vi^2) = 0.0232

Again this is really frustrating, I take g = -9.8 and x = 50,000m, vi = 4600m/s
but I get -0.0232.

What is wrong here?
If I use a positive g, I get 0.0232 but that would be rubbish.

Physics news on Phys.org
negation said:

Homework Statement

After a short engine firiing, an atmosphere-probing rocket reaches 4.6km/s. If the rocket must land within 50km of its launc site, what's the max allowable deviation from a vertical trajectory.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Given by the book:

x = (vi^2/g)sin 2Θ

50,000m = (vi^2/-9.8)sin 2Θ

sin2Θ = (gx/vi^2) = 0.0232

Again this is really frustrating, I take g = -9.8 and x = 50,000m, vi = 4600m/s
but I get -0.0232.

What is wrong here?
If I use a positive g, I get 0.0232 but that would be rubbish.

Why would it be "rubbish"?

I suggest you check the derivation of the range formula. That should tell you why ##g## should be taken as a positive number (just the magnitude) here.

Curious3141 said:
Why would it be "rubbish"?

I suggest you check the derivation of the range formula. That should tell you why ##g## should be taken as a positive number (just the magnitude) here.

I understand how to derive the equation for the range formula. What I don't understand is that the g in the equation was not specified as a magnitude so why should I be using the magnitude and not the vector g?

negation said:
I understand how to derive the equation for the range formula. What I don't understand is that the g in the equation was not specified as a magnitude so why should I be using the magnitude and not the vector g?

So, in the derivation, what is the exact expression for the vertical position at time ##t##?

Curious3141 said:
So, in the derivation, what is the exact expression for the vertical position at time ##t##?

Capture.JPG

I have understood why g = 9.8 instead of -9.8ms^-2

negation said:
View attachment 65304

I have understood why g = 9.8 instead of -9.8ms^-2

Good. It is because the equation for the vertical displacement explicitly includes a negative sign before ##g##, i.e. ##\displaystyle y = v\sin\theta{t} -\frac{1}{2}gt^2##. Hence ##g## here refers to the magnitude only.

FAQ: Max Allowable Deviation for Projectile Range of 50km

What is the Max Allowable Deviation for Projectile Range of 50km?

The Max Allowable Deviation for Projectile Range of 50km refers to the maximum acceptable difference between the actual range of a projectile and the intended range of 50km. It is a measure of accuracy for projectiles launched at a distance of 50km.

Why is the Max Allowable Deviation important for projectile range?

The Max Allowable Deviation is important as it ensures that projectiles are accurate and hit their intended targets. A deviation that is too large could result in a missed target or collateral damage, while a deviation that is too small could indicate a lack of precision in the projectile's trajectory.

How is the Max Allowable Deviation calculated?

The Max Allowable Deviation is calculated using a combination of factors such as the projectile's velocity, elevation angle, atmospheric conditions, and any external forces acting on the projectile. It is typically determined through extensive testing and mathematical calculations.

What factors can affect the Max Allowable Deviation for Projectile Range of 50km?

Several factors can affect the Max Allowable Deviation for Projectile Range of 50km, including wind speed and direction, air temperature, air pressure, and the precision of the launching mechanism. Other external factors such as gravity and air resistance can also play a role.

How is the Max Allowable Deviation used in practical applications?

The Max Allowable Deviation is used in practical applications to ensure the accuracy and effectiveness of projectiles used in military operations, long-range shooting, and other fields where precision is crucial. It helps to determine the limitations of a projectile's range and ensure that it hits its intended target with a high degree of accuracy.