Solving Elevator Accleration Problems with a Bathroom Scale

• Thread starter sunshine9489
  • Start date
In summary, the student takes a bathroom scale into an elevator on the 64th floor of a building. The scale reads 836 N, and as the elevator moves up the scale reading increases to 935 N, then decreases back to 836 N. Find the acceleration of the elevator.
sunshine9489
a student takes a bathroom scale into an elevator on the 64th floor of a building. The scale reads 836 N.

a. as the elvator moves up the scale reading increases to 935 N, then decreases back to 836 N. Find the accleration of the elevator.

b. As the elevator approaches the 64th floor, the scale reading drops as low as 782 N. What is the acceleratino of the elevator.

help would be greatly appreciated! becuase i feel as if i don't know enough infomation in the problems!

thanks!
:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
the increase in weight is due to a pseudo force applied by the weight machine suface. the actual force is Mg where m is his mass and g is the accelerationdue to gravity. thus when there is an acceleration of a, then a pseudo force of Ma has to be applied by the machine. be smar enough to understand what i write and convert it into equation. reply back after two days if ou still doesn't get the answer

the increase in weight is due to the pseudo force applied by the weight machine surface. as a reaction pair normally it applies a normal force of Mg against the person. when lift accelerates, the lift becomes a non-inertial frame due to which the measurementhas error. the magnitude of error is due to pseudo force applied by the peson on the frame against the motion. convert what i write into beneficial equation. tjhere lies your smartness. reply back if you reach nowhere even after two days

Welcome Sunshine. It would also be greatly appreciated if you showed some work!

Welcome Sunshine, I am new here also.

Apply F=ma to determine the mass of object on the scale, then use this mass (approx. 85.3 Kg) to determine the total accelerations which include acceleration due to gravity (g). To obtain the elevators acceleration, in (a) and (b), in each case subtract g from the total acceleration :

Mass of object on scale: F=ma -> m = F/a = 836N/9.8m/s^2 = 85.3Kg (approx).

Elevator acceleration in (a): total acceleration = 935N/85.3Kg = 10.96m/s^2 -> acceleration due to elevator = 10.96m/s^2 - 9.8m/s^2 = 1.2m/s^2 (approx).

Elevator acceleration in (b): total acceleration = 782N/85.3Kg = 9.17m/s^2 -> acceleration due to elevator = 9.17m/s^2 - 9.8m/s^2 = -0.63m/s^2 (approx).

David

Last edited:

1. How do I use a bathroom scale to solve elevator acceleration problems?

To solve elevator acceleration problems using a bathroom scale, you will need to first measure the weight of the elevator. Place the scale on the floor of the elevator and stand on it to get an initial reading. Note down the weight. Next, take the elevator to the desired floor and stand on the scale again. The difference in weight between the initial reading and the reading on the desired floor will give you the acceleration of the elevator.

2. What is the purpose of using a bathroom scale to solve elevator acceleration problems?

The purpose of using a bathroom scale is to measure the weight of the elevator at two different points in time, which can then be used to calculate the acceleration of the elevator. This can be a more accurate and practical method compared to other methods that require specialized equipment or complex calculations.

3. Can I use any type of bathroom scale to solve elevator acceleration problems?

Yes, you can use any type of bathroom scale as long as it is accurate and can measure your weight in pounds or kilograms. It is recommended to use a digital scale for more precise measurements.

4. Are there any limitations to using a bathroom scale to solve elevator acceleration problems?

One limitation of using a bathroom scale is that it can only measure the weight of the elevator at two specific points in time. If the elevator is accelerating or decelerating at a rapid rate, the readings may not be as accurate. Additionally, the scale may not be able to measure the weight of larger elevators or elevators with a high weight capacity.

5. How can I apply the concept of solving elevator acceleration problems to real-life situations?

Solving elevator acceleration problems can be useful in various real-life situations, such as designing elevators for buildings or analyzing the safety of elevator systems. It can also help in understanding the physics behind elevator movement and how different factors, such as weight and acceleration, affect it.