1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

0 divisors and solutions in ax=b

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if a is a 0 divisor of some ring, then for any b of the ring, ax=b cannot have one x that satisfies the equation (i.e. cannot have one solution)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    It seems to me this isn't even right. Say a is a right 0 divisor but not a left. Then ax=0 has only one solution (namely x=0) so unless all right 0 divisors are left 0 divisors (which I didn't think is true) isnt' this a contradiction of the theorem I'm trying to prove?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's telling you that a is a 0 divisor, i.e. both a right and left 0 divisor.

4. Nov 7, 2007 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Firstly, morphism is correct, but I wanted to add this: you say

"Say a is a right 0 divisor but not a left. Then ax=0 has only one solution (namely x=0)"

This means that a right 0 divisor means a *is not* a left 0 divisor. Be careful of saying things like that. The status of a as a right 0 divisor means nothing about it as a left 0 divisor (unless the ring is abelian under *).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?