0 divisors and solutions in ax=b

• Thread starter Glass
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if a is a 0 divisor of a ring, then the equation ax=b cannot have only one solution for any b in the ring. The conversation also mentions the possibility of a being a right 0 divisor but not a left 0 divisor, which would contradict the theorem being proved.
Glass

Homework Statement

Prove that if a is a 0 divisor of some ring, then for any b of the ring, ax=b cannot have one x that satisfies the equation (i.e. cannot have one solution)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems to me this isn't even right. Say a is a right 0 divisor but not a left. Then ax=0 has only one solution (namely x=0) so unless all right 0 divisors are left 0 divisors (which I didn't think is true) isnt' this a contradiction of the theorem I'm trying to prove?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's telling you that a is a 0 divisor, i.e. both a right and left 0 divisor.

Firstly, morphism is correct, but I wanted to add this: you say

"Say a is a right 0 divisor but not a left. Then ax=0 has only one solution (namely x=0)"

This means that a right 0 divisor means a *is not* a left 0 divisor. Be careful of saying things like that. The status of a as a right 0 divisor means nothing about it as a left 0 divisor (unless the ring is abelian under *).

1. What are zero divisors in the context of solving equations?

Zero divisors are elements in a mathematical system, such as a ring or field, that when multiplied by another element result in zero. In the context of solving equations, zero divisors are important because they can lead to multiple solutions or no solutions.

2. How do zero divisors affect the solutions to equations?

When zero divisors are present in an equation, it means that there are multiple ways to multiply the elements to get zero. This can result in multiple solutions or no solutions to the equation.

3. Can zero divisors be avoided in equations?

In some mathematical systems, such as fields, zero divisors do not exist. However, in other systems, such as rings, zero divisors are present. In these cases, it is not possible to avoid zero divisors in equations.

4. What is the significance of solutions in ax=b?

The solutions to ax=b represent the values of the variable x that make the equation true. In other words, these are the values that, when substituted into the equation, result in a valid statement.

5. How can one determine the number of solutions in ax=b?

The number of solutions in ax=b can be determined by the number of zero divisors present in the equation. If there are no zero divisors, there will be one unique solution. If there is one zero divisor, there will be infinitely many solutions. And if there are multiple zero divisors, there will be no solutions.