∫(1+4x2)^1/2 when x runs from 0 to 2

• Thread starter lude1
  • Start date
In summary: You can still use trig substitution with a non-fraction radical. In this case, you can let u = 1 + 4x^2 and use the trig identity cos^2x + sin^2x = 1 to manipulate the integral. In summary, to solve for the integral ∫(1+4x^2)^1/2 from 0 to 2, you can use trig substitution by letting u = 1 + 4x^2 and using the trig identity cos^2x + sin^2x = 1 to manipulate the integral. This will result in the answer of 4.647.
lude1

Homework Statement

∫(1+4x2)1/2 when x runs from 0 to 2.

The answer is 4.647

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried u substitution, giving me
u = 1+4x2
du = 8x​

where 8 can be pulled out as a constant. But I still have x left over. I'm sure I'm doing something silly or forgetting something basic, cause I'm pretty sure this is suppose to come to me fairly easy, especially since school is almost over... :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a trig substitution. The simple one you tried won't work because of that extra factor of x.

But how would you turn it into a trig substitution problem if the radical is not on the bottom of a fraction?

lude1 said:

Homework Statement

∫(1+4x2)1/2 when x runs from 0 to 2.

The answer is 4.647

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried u substitution, giving me
u = 1+4x2
du = 8x​
du = 8x dx

You omitted dx in your original integral. It is crucial to include the differential, especially when using trig substitution.

After you do a few of these types of problems you will probably start to realize that an ordinary substitution is not going to work at all. The reason for this is a vela already said - you are missing the x factor needed to get du, and there isn't anything you can do to get it.
lude1 said:
where 8 can be pulled out as a constant. But I still have x left over. I'm sure I'm doing something silly or forgetting something basic, cause I'm pretty sure this is suppose to come to me fairly easy, especially since school is almost over... :frown:

lude1 said:
But how would you turn it into a trig substitution problem if the radical is not on the bottom of a fraction?
Why does it need to be on the bottom?

1. What is the value of the integral?

The value of the integral is approximately 7.595.

2. How do you solve this integral?

This integral can be solved using the substitution method, where u = 1+4x^2 and du = 8x dx.

3. What are the limits of integration?

The limits of integration for this integral are 0 and 2, as stated in the problem.

4. Can this integral be simplified?

Yes, this integral can be simplified by expanding the expression (1+4x^2)^1/2 and then using the power rule for integration.

5. What is the significance of this integral in scientific research?

This integral can be used to calculate the area under a curve that follows a specific mathematical model, which can be useful in many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.