1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: ∫(1+4x2)^1/2 when x runs from 0 to 2

1. Jun 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ∫(1+4x2)1/2 when x runs from 0 to 2.

The answer is 4.647

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried u substitution, giving me
    u = 1+4x2
    du = 8x​

where 8 can be pulled out as a constant. But I still have x left over. I'm sure I'm doing something silly or forgetting something basic, cause I'm pretty sure this is suppose to come to me fairly easy, especially since school is almost over... :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try a trig substitution. The simple one you tried won't work because of that extra factor of x.

4. Jun 1, 2010 #3
    But how would you turn it into a trig substitution problem if the radical is not on the bottom of a fraction?

5. Jun 1, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

du = 8x dx

You omitted dx in your original integral. It is crucial to include the differential, especially when using trig substitution.

After you do a few of these types of problems you will probably start to realize that an ordinary substitution is not going to work at all. The reason for this is a vela already said - you are missing the x factor needed to get du, and there isn't anything you can do to get it.

6. Jun 1, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Why does it need to be on the bottom?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook