1 dimensional elastic collision

In summary, for a perfectly elastic collision between a 0.415-kg hockey puck moving east with a speed of 2.65 m/s and a 0.910-kg puck initially at rest, the resulting velocities of the objects will be -0.990 m/s and 1.66 m/s, respectively. The heavier object can be expected to move with a smaller velocity magnitude if the initial kinetic energy is divided equally between the two objects.
IniquiTrance
A 0.415-kg hockey puck, moving east with a speed of 2.65 m/s, has a head-on collision with a 0.910-kg puck initially at rest.
Assuming a perfectly elastic collision, what will be the velocity of each object after the collision?
=======
The solution is:

v ' (lighter puck) , v' (heavier puck) = -0.990, 1.66 m/s, respectively.

My question is, wouldn't the lighter puck be expected to have a higher velocity magnitude than the heavier puck following the collision?

Physics news on Phys.org
For perfectly elastic collisions, kinetic energy is conserved.

[tex]K_i=K_1+K_2[/tex]

Ok, i made that assumption when solving the problem.

I'm asking conceptually, wouldn't the heavier object be expected to move with a smaller velocity magnitude?

IniquiTrance said:
Ok, i made that assumption when solving the problem.

I'm asking conceptually, wouldn't the heavier object be expected to move with a smaller velocity magnitude?

Sorry, I didn't read your question properly :redface:

That will only be the case if the initial kinetic energy is divided equally between the two objects, i.e. when after the collision

[tex]\frac{1}{2}m_1v_1^2=\frac{1}{2}m_2v_2^2[/tex]

so that

[tex]\frac{m_1}{m_2}=\frac{v_2^2}{v_1^2}[/tex]

Ah gotcha. Thanks for the help! :smile:

1. What is a 1 dimensional elastic collision?

A 1 dimensional elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where both the momentum and the kinetic energy are conserved. This means that both the total mass and the total velocity of the objects before and after the collision are the same.

2. How is momentum conserved in a 1 dimensional elastic collision?

In a 1 dimensional elastic collision, the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is because there is no external force acting on the system, so the total momentum remains constant.

3. What is the equation for calculating the velocities of the objects after a 1 dimensional elastic collision?

The equation for calculating the velocities of the objects after a 1 dimensional elastic collision is:
Vf1 = (m1 - m2) / (m1 + m2) * Vi1 + (2 * m2) / (m1 + m2) * Vi2
Vf2 = (2 * m1) / (m1 + m2) * Vi1 + (m2 - m1) / (m1 + m2) * Vi2

4. Can the kinetic energy be greater after a 1 dimensional elastic collision?

Yes, it is possible for the kinetic energy to be greater after a 1 dimensional elastic collision. This can happen if the objects have different masses and the less massive object has a higher velocity before the collision. In this case, the more massive object will gain some kinetic energy from the collision.

5. Are there any real-life examples of 1 dimensional elastic collisions?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of 1 dimensional elastic collisions, such as billiard balls colliding on a pool table, balls bouncing off each other in a game of pinball, or collisions between particles in a particle accelerator.