Wiring a 115/230 VAC Power Supply Without a Wall Plug

In summary, the conversation is advising against attempting to wire a power supply with cut wires to a cord and plug it into a wall outlet. It also mentions the importance of understanding design rules for dealing with high voltages in a safe way and the use of a multimeter to identify wires. The conversation also warns about the dangers of working with high voltages and the need to learn about grounding, person access, faults, fusing, and switching before attempting such a project.
Galgenstrick
I have a power supply with an input of 115/230 VAC. There is no wall plug wired to it, just cut wires. I don't have much experience with this. If I wire this to a cord can I plug it into the wall (120 volts)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Galgenstrick said:
I have a power supply with an input of 115/230 VAC. There is no wall plug wired to it, just cut wires. I don't have much experience with this. If I wire this to a cord can I plug it into the wall (120 volts)?

Lordy. I just replied in your laser power supply thread. Why are you migrating to dangerous stuff?

But in case you are really interested in learning how to deal with high voltages in a safe way, there are design rules for trying your best to avoid fire hazards and shock hazards. Do you have an idea of what those design rules would be?...

berkeman said:
Lordy. I just replied in your laser power supply thread. Why are you migrating to dangerous stuff?

But in case you are really interested in learning how to deal with high voltages in a safe way, there are design rules for trying your best to avoid fire hazards and shock hazards. Do you have an idea of what those design rules would be?...

I do not know, that is why I am asking here before I try anything.

Equipment intended to be used in different countries often has a transformer that either has two primaries of 120 volts each or it has a center tapped 240 volt primary.

The first would have 4 wires and the second would have 3 wires.

You should be able to work out which wires are which using a multimeter on the "ohms" scale.

As your supply is 120 volts you may be able to use just one of the input windings if the transformer is the first kind.

If it is the second kind, ie with a center tapped transformer, you would use one of the outer wires and the center tap as the two inputs to your primary.

You would open the box and connect to the terminal block where the transformer leads are anchored. Do not attempt to join a new cable to the wires that come out of the power supply.

Follow the same type of anchoring that was used for the original power cord.

Don't touch anything when the power is connected.

Galgenstrick said:

Galgenstrick said:
I do not know, that is why I am asking here before I try anything.

vk6kro said:
Equipment intended to be used in different countries often has a transformer that either has two primaries of 120 volts each or it has a center tapped 240 volt primary.

The first would have 4 wires and the second would have 3 wires.

You should be able to work out which wires are which using a multimeter on the "ohms" scale.

As your supply is 120 volts you may be able to use just one of the input windings if the transformer is the first kind.

If it is the second kind, ie with a center tapped transformer, you would use one of the outer wires and the center tap as the two inputs to your primary.

You would open the box and connect to the terminal block where the transformer leads are anchored. Do not attempt to join a new cable to the wires that come out of the power supply.

Follow the same type of anchoring that was used for the original power cord.

Don't touch anything when the power is connected.

Galgen,

You would need to learn about grounding and person access (the finger) and faults and fusing and switching and a few other things before I would have any confidence that you could build something that was reasonably safe against fire and shock hazards. This web forum is not the place for these types of questions (or answers). This thread is locked.

1. How do I wire a 115/230 VAC power supply without a wall plug?

To wire a 115/230 VAC power supply without a wall plug, you will need to first determine the voltage and amperage requirements of your specific power supply. Then, you will need to purchase the appropriate wires and connectors to match those specifications. Finally, you will need to follow the wiring diagram provided by the manufacturer to properly connect the wires to the power supply.

2. Can I use any type of wire to connect the power supply?

No, it is important to use wires that are specifically designed for use with high voltage and high current applications. These types of wires are typically labeled as "high voltage" or "high amperage" and are made with materials that can withstand the electrical load without melting or shorting out.

3. What safety precautions should I take when wiring a 115/230 VAC power supply?

It is crucial to follow all safety precautions when working with high voltage and high current electricity. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses, ensuring that the power is turned off before beginning any work, and using insulated tools to prevent electric shock.

4. Can I use a wall plug from a different voltage for my power supply?

No, it is not recommended to use a wall plug from a different voltage for your power supply. This can cause damage to both the power supply and any connected devices, and can also pose a safety hazard. It is important to use the correct voltage and wiring for your specific power supply.

5. Do I need to ground my power supply when wiring it without a wall plug?

Yes, it is important to ground your power supply when wiring it without a wall plug. This helps to prevent electrical shocks and can also protect your power supply from damage. It is recommended to consult the wiring diagram provided by the manufacturer for specific grounding instructions.