120-240VAC Digital Logic Power Relay Timer

In summary, the goal of the design was to remove power from four washing machines and four dryers using relays and a digital logic timer. The problem was that the relays needed to be able to handle continuous amp draw, and the timer needed to be able to send a shut down sequence to each relay.
Aomeszaga
Design Goal:
Remove power from 4 washing machines and 4 dryers using relays and a digital logic timer.
(9 Hour cycle of no-power from 22:00 to 07:00 the next day)

Design Problem:
What relays can I use that can be actuated by logic voltages?
Should I use 2 relays, a logic relay that actuates a power relay?
What relay can I use that can handle continuous amp draw of 8 machines and 8 start up amp draws?

Theory:
Digital Logic timer to send a shut down sequence to each of the 4 relays (2 plugs x 4 receptacles)
Relays (SPST-NC latching) or (SPST-NO)

Also, a feasibility study of anyone who has either done this before or done something similar or has any insight to anything I should be aware of.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks! I will look into this.

for the quantity of devices you would like to power off another inexpensive option is a smart relay controller. Such as the Pico smart relay controller from Allen Bradley. They have a real time clock, include software and programming cable.

The programming would need some knowledge of ladder logic, however for your application its an easy program that I can help you with. Would only take me 1/2 hour lol.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/1760-pp001_-en-p.pdf

I found that if you need a timer and more than 4 relays this option often comes out cheaper.

the 240 volt may be a problem with the above option I know they have 120 output not sure on the 240 volt output

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great, the logic is pretty much the same as digital logic 'cept with different symbols, I could read up on the code syntax as well. I will follow up through this line of these controllers to see if I can find some that can handle 30 amps; I'm looking through the brochure the contacts seem a little small.

they are good controllers, I looked over the product line the relays in them are too low in amperage to run the 30 amps through them. What can be done however is to use the RTC of the controller to control the outputs of 30 amp contact blocks with your 30 amp circuits on those contacts.

This may be a good solution as it's meant for your type of control.

http://www.intermatic.com/en/Products/TimeSwitches/ElectronicSwitches/24Hour_7Day/ET1700/ET1725C.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
that is a better option with greater flexibility on the RTC application as opposed to the smart relays

Thanks a lot guys, these are all very interesting ways for me to implement a solution. The last one seems to be the most straightforward. I'll let you know how it goes!

The Intermatic and a GE version are available in the big box - Lowes/HD - they are used frequently for pools.

1. What is a 120-240VAC digital logic power relay timer?

A 120-240VAC digital logic power relay timer is an electronic device that controls the flow of electricity to a device or system based on a set time interval. It is typically used in industrial and commercial settings to automate processes and conserve energy.

2. How does a 120-240VAC digital logic power relay timer work?

The power relay timer operates by receiving input signals from a digital logic controller and then activating or deactivating the connected electrical circuit based on the pre-programmed time delay. It uses a combination of electronic components and software algorithms to accurately measure and control the timing of the relay.

3. What are the benefits of using a 120-240VAC digital logic power relay timer?

Using a digital logic power relay timer offers several benefits, including improved energy efficiency, increased control and automation of processes, and reduced wear and tear on electrical equipment. It also allows for more precise timing and eliminates the need for manual intervention, saving time and resources.

4. Can a 120-240VAC digital logic power relay timer be customized for specific applications?

Yes, a 120-240VAC digital logic power relay timer can be customized to meet the specific needs of different applications. The timer can be programmed with different time intervals, trigger conditions, and other parameters to suit the requirements of the system it is being used in.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using a 120-240VAC digital logic power relay timer?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the power relay timer is installed and used correctly to avoid any potential hazards. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for proper installation and use. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspection of the timer are essential to ensure safe and reliable operation.