1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1D 2nd-Order nonlinear differential eqn in Matlab

1. Sep 2, 2005 #1
    Hi all,

I am more into physics than maths and I need you guys to please help me out. Also I am new to programming in MATLAB. I have done some but still I consider myself a novice. I need to solve the problem in MATLAB.

So here is the problem.Its a 2 point BVP(boundary value problem) along a straight line ,say along x-axis , from -L to +L.

A*N''=B+(C*N)+(D*N^2)+f(N)

[prime denotes differentiation w.r.t x, N~N(x) , f(N) is a simple function of N, say log(N), All constants are known]

Now I need to solve this BVP for the following boundary conditions:N(-L)=B1 and N(L)=B2, Both B1 and B2 are also known.

The problem is that this particular equation needs to be solved using the "Relaxation Method" and Runge-Kutta/ Shooting method's are not considered suitable traditionally for this diffusion like problem.

Can any body suggest me a code for this problem in Matlab. I haven't seen any function in MATLAB capable of solving NL BVP.

Please help.

Sincerely,

JAM

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted