Electric Field Between/Above Parallel Charged Rods

In summary, the problem involves two infinitely long, parallel rods with a distance of d cm between them. Each rod carries a linear charge density of +lambda and -lambda. The task is to find the magnitude and direction of the electric field between the two rods (x=0, -d/2 < z < d/2) and above the rods (x=0, z > d/2). To solve this, the formula E = q/4(pi)(epsilon)(r^2) is used, along with the fact that the field of an infinite wire at a distance r is \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} \frac{2\lambda}{r}. The direction of the field is
Fusilli_Jerry89

Homework Statement

2 uniformly charged very long (L -> infinite) straight, parallel rods d cm apart each carry a linear charge density +lambda and -lambda.
Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field between the 2 rods (x=0, -d/2 < z < d/2) and above the rods (x=0, z > d/2)

---------------------------------------------->x
________________________________ (z is vertical axis)

Homework Equations

E = q/4(pi)(epsilon)(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, would E be zero above the 2 rods? The question also has a b part to it that asks what the behavior is if z is much greater than d. I guessed that E was not zero above the 2 rods since it seemed like there were so many marks for finding E above the rods, but was I wrong? If not, do you calculate E above the rods the pretty much the same way as below only subtract them instead of add them?

For E between the rods:
dE = q/4(pi)(epsilon)(x^2 + (d^2)/4)
cos(theta) = (d/2)/(x^2 + (d^2)/4)^.5
dEz = qd/8(pi)(epsilon)(x^2 + (d^2)/4)^3/2

Ez = [qd/8(pi)(epsilon)] * integral from -L/2 to L/2 of (x^2 + (d^2)/4)^-3/2 dx
Ez = qL/2(pi)(epsilon)d
since there are two rods, we multiply this by 2:
E = qL/(pi)(epsilon)d

is this method/approach correct? Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Fusilli_Jerry89 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, would E be zero above the 2 rods? The question also has a b part to it that asks what the behavior is if z is much greater than d. I guessed that E was not zero above the 2 rods since it seemed like there were so many marks for finding E above the rods, but was I wrong? If not, do you calculate E above the rods the pretty much the same way as below only subtract them instead of add them?

E would not be zero above the rods -- that happens with infinite planes.

You have to know the field of an infinite wire at a dist r. This is done in all the books, so I'll just give it here:

[tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} \frac{2\lambda}{r}.[/tex]

The direction of the field is obvious.

You have to take the vector sum of the fields due to the two rods. In this case, since both the fields are in the same line, just adding or subtracting will do. To find it at a large distance, take the limit of z tending to infinity.

If you look at the two rods from a great distance, how do you feel it should look like?

I would say that your approach and method seem to be on the right track. However, I would recommend double-checking your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. Additionally, I would suggest considering the concept of superposition, which states that the total electric field at a point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields from each charge. This may help you in calculating the electric field above the rods. Also, to answer your question, the electric field above the rods would not be zero, as there are charges present on the rods that would create an electric field. Overall, your understanding of the topic and your approach to solving the problem seem to be correct, but I would suggest reviewing and double-checking your calculations for accuracy.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds and permeates all charged particles, exerting a force on other charged particles within its vicinity. It is created by the presence of electrically charged objects and is responsible for the electrical force, which can either attract or repel charged particles.

2. How is the electric field between/above parallel charged rods calculated?

The electric field between/above parallel charged rods can be calculated using the formula E = kq/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q is the magnitude of the charge on each rod, and r is the distance between the two rods.

3. What factors affect the electric field between/above parallel charged rods?

The electric field between/above parallel charged rods is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the rods, the distance between the rods, and the dielectric constant of the medium between the rods. The electric field strength increases as the charges on the rods increase, and decreases as the distance between the rods increases. The dielectric constant of the medium also affects the electric field strength, with higher dielectric constants resulting in a weaker electric field.

4. Can the electric field between/above parallel charged rods be zero?

Yes, the electric field between/above parallel charged rods can be zero if the charges on the rods are equal and opposite in sign, and the distance between the rods is infinite. In other words, if the rods have a net charge of zero and are placed at an infinite distance from each other, the electric field between them will be zero.

5. What are some real-life applications of the electric field between/above parallel charged rods?

The electric field between/above parallel charged rods has many practical applications, including in electronic devices such as capacitors and transistors, which use the electric field to store and manipulate charges. It is also used in electrostatic precipitators to remove pollutants from industrial emissions, and in particle accelerators to accelerate charged particles to high speeds.