2 Spaceships travelling towards a blackhole.

• Thread starter Kingee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blackhole
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a first spaceship stopping a second spaceship from entering a black hole, with both spaceships traveling at high speeds towards the black hole. The use of equations is mentioned, but it is unclear if a solution was reached. The responder does not fully understand the question and suggests that it is not possible for the first spaceship to stop the second.
Kingee

Homework Statement

From our perspective a spaceship is traveling towards a black hole 9 light minutes away at 0.995C, another spaceship is traveling towards the black hole, traveling at a -0.03c from the point of view of the first spaceship. is it possible for the first spaceship to stop the second going into the black hole?

Homework Equations

t'=γ(t-(v/(c^2)))
x'=γ(x-Vt)
I think...

The Attempt at a Solution

As I don't know the position of the second spaceship, i spent an hour trying to figure various speeds/distances from both points of view, but ended up not getting anywhere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i don't understand your question. i would go with no though.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space that has an extremely strong gravitational pull due to the concentration of mass. This gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape from it, making it invisible to the human eye.

2. How do black holes form?

Black holes are formed when a massive star runs out of fuel and collapses under its own gravity. This collapse creates a singularity, a point of infinite density, at the center of the black hole.

3. How do black holes affect nearby objects?

The strong gravitational pull of a black hole can cause nearby objects, such as stars and gas clouds, to orbit around it. As these objects get closer to the black hole, they experience extreme tidal forces, which can stretch and tear them apart.

4. What would happen if 2 spaceships traveled towards a black hole?

If 2 spaceships were to travel towards a black hole, they would experience extreme gravitational forces. As they get closer to the black hole, these forces would increase exponentially, causing the spaceships to be stretched and eventually torn apart.

5. Can anything escape from a black hole?

Once an object passes the event horizon of a black hole, it is impossible for it to escape. This is because the escape velocity, the speed needed to overcome the gravitational pull, is greater than the speed of light. However, some particles may be able to escape through quantum effects, but this has not yet been observed.