Velocity of relativistic spaceship

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Rct33
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A spaceship travels from Earth to a star that is 6 light years away. The spaceship takes 2.5 years to reach the star in its frame. Calculate the velocity of the spaceship.


Homework Equations


[itex]x=\frac{x_0}{γ}[/itex], [itex]t=γt_0[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution


I guess I have to relate the two equations to work out velocity somehow. Previous attempts where I considered the distance, [itex]6ly[/itex] divided by the velocity of the spaceship was equal to the time it takes to travel to the star as seen on Earth. I then substituted [itex]t[/itex] for [itex]γt_0[/itex] where [itex]t_0=2.5y[/itex] and rearranged to find [itex]v[/itex], but this was unsuccessful. I don't have any other ideas to try so hints would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\frac{6}{v}=t=2.5γ[/itex] where the velocity is a fraction of c, 6 is in light years and t, 2.5 are in years.

Implies:

[itex]\frac{6}{2.5}=\frac{v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/itex]

[itex]∴v=\frac{12c}{\sqrt{25c^2 + 144}}=2.4[/itex] solved with wolfram because tired

Can't understand why I get 2.4c as an answer?
 
Rct33 said:
[itex]\frac{6}{v}=t=2.5γ[/itex] where the velocity is a fraction of c, 6 is in light years and t, 2.5 are in years.

That should be: [itex]\frac{6c}{v}=t=2.5γ[/itex]

Chet
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Chestermiller said:
That should be: [itex]\frac{6c}{v}=t=2.5γ[/itex]

Chet

Cheers
 
$$\frac{6}{2.5}=\frac{v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}$$
This has a solution with v smaller than 1.

$$∴v=\frac{12c}{\sqrt{25c^2 + 144}}=2.4$$ Don't use c here (or plug in 1), as you worked with years=speed of light = 1 anyway.

A proper calculation with units would not have this issue...