Velocity of relativistic spaceship

In summary, the spaceship traveling from Earth to a star 6 light years away takes 2.5 years in its own frame. Using the equations for time dilation and length contraction, the velocity of the spaceship can be calculated to be approximately 2.4 times the speed of light.
Rct33

Homework Statement

A spaceship travels from Earth to a star that is 6 light years away. The spaceship takes 2.5 years to reach the star in its frame. Calculate the velocity of the spaceship.

Homework Equations

[itex]x=\frac{x_0}{γ}[/itex], [itex]t=γt_0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I have to relate the two equations to work out velocity somehow. Previous attempts where I considered the distance, [itex]6ly[/itex] divided by the velocity of the spaceship was equal to the time it takes to travel to the star as seen on Earth. I then substituted [itex]t[/itex] for [itex]γt_0[/itex] where [itex]t_0=2.5y[/itex] and rearranged to find [itex]v[/itex], but this was unsuccessful. I don't have any other ideas to try so hints would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach looks good. Please show your work so we can see where the calculations went wrong.

[itex]\frac{6}{v}=t=2.5γ[/itex] where the velocity is a fraction of c, 6 is in light years and t, 2.5 are in years.

Implies:

[itex]\frac{6}{2.5}=\frac{v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/itex]

[itex]∴v=\frac{12c}{\sqrt{25c^2 + 144}}=2.4[/itex] solved with wolfram because tired

Can't understand why I get 2.4c as an answer?

Rct33 said:
[itex]\frac{6}{v}=t=2.5γ[/itex] where the velocity is a fraction of c, 6 is in light years and t, 2.5 are in years.

That should be: [itex]\frac{6c}{v}=t=2.5γ[/itex]

Chet

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
That should be: [itex]\frac{6c}{v}=t=2.5γ[/itex]

Chet

Cheers

$$\frac{6}{2.5}=\frac{v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}$$
This has a solution with v smaller than 1.

$$∴v=\frac{12c}{\sqrt{25c^2 + 144}}=2.4$$ Don't use c here (or plug in 1), as you worked with years=speed of light = 1 anyway.

A proper calculation with units would not have this issue...

Related to Velocity of relativistic spaceship

1. What is the velocity of a relativistic spaceship?

The velocity of a relativistic spaceship is one that is traveling close to the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. How does the velocity of a relativistic spaceship affect time and space?

As a spaceship approaches the speed of light, time and space become distorted due to the effects of relativity. Time will slow down for objects on the spaceship, and length will appear to contract in the direction of motion. This is known as time dilation and length contraction.

3. Can a spaceship reach the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to reach the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and requires an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

4. How is the velocity of a relativistic spaceship calculated?

The velocity of a relativistic spaceship can be calculated using the equation v = c * (1 - (v^2/c^2))^0.5, where v is the velocity of the spaceship and c is the speed of light.

5. What are some real-life examples of the velocity of a relativistic spaceship?

Some real-life examples of the velocity of a relativistic spaceship include space probes such as Voyager 1 and 2, which are traveling at a velocity of about 17 kilometers per second. The Large Hadron Collider, a particle accelerator, also achieves relativistic velocities when accelerating particles to nearly the speed of light.