2D momentum of two objects next to a wall

In summary, the problem involves two pucks, one with a velocity of 15 m/s and the other stationary, colliding and resulting in the first puck moving in the opposite direction with a velocity of 10 m/s. The radius and mass of each puck are given, and the collision is not elastic. To find the velocity of the second puck after the collision, one must calculate the angle between the initial and final momentums and use the Pythagorean theorem to solve for the velocity.
Jeriho

Homework Statement

We have two pucks next to a wall. Puck 1 has velocity v0=15 m/s in the direction y (as seen on the picture). Puck 2 is stationary. After the collision puck 1 moves in the opposite direction with velocity v1=10 m/s and puck 2 moves with unknown velocity in the direction x. The radius of puck 1 is r1=3cm and of puck 2 r2=6cm. The mass of puck 1 is m1=0.1kg and of puck 2 m2=0.5kg. The collision is not elastic.

What is the velocity of puck 2 after the collision?

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8082/breznaslova.jpg

Homework Equations

Equation of momentum P=mv
Pythagorean theorem c2=a2+b2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated the angle using the radiuses of the pucks and I got Cos([tex]\alpha[/tex])=[tex]\frac{r2-r1}{r2+r1}[/tex]
I got that [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 70.5 degrees.

Then I went on to figure out momentums. I figured out this:
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/8120/breznaslova2.jpg
The angle between P0 and P2 is [tex]\alpha[/tex].
Then I went on to make the P1 the hypotenus and the opposite is P1y which is the same as P=m1v1. From that I calculated the angle and then the adjacent P1x. Am I right to think that the velocity I am looking for is vx=[tex]\frac{P1x}{m2}[/tex].

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does no one have an idea how to do this?

buuuuuuuump

What is 2D momentum?

2D momentum refers to the motion of an object in two dimensions, taking into account both its mass and velocity in the x and y directions.

How do I calculate the 2D momentum of two objects next to a wall?

The 2D momentum of two objects next to a wall can be calculated by adding the individual momentums of each object in the x and y directions. This can be represented by the formula P = mxv + myv.

Why is the momentum of two objects next to a wall important to study?

Understanding the momentum of two objects next to a wall can help us predict the direction and magnitude of their motion. It is also important in analyzing collisions and determining the forces involved.

Does the wall affect the momentum of the objects?

Yes, the wall can affect the momentum of the objects. If one object collides with the wall, it will experience a change in momentum, which will in turn affect the total momentum of the system.

Can the 2D momentum of two objects next to a wall ever be conserved?

Yes, in an ideal situation where there are no external forces acting on the system, the total 2D momentum of two objects next to a wall can be conserved. This means that the initial and final momentums of the system will be equal.