1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D momentum of two objects next to a wall

1. Nov 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have two pucks next to a wall. Puck 1 has velocity v0=15 m/s in the direction y (as seen on the picture). Puck 2 is stationary. After the collision puck 1 moves in the opposite direction with velocity v1=10 m/s and puck 2 moves with unknown velocity in the direction x. The radius of puck 1 is r1=3cm and of puck 2 r2=6cm. The mass of puck 1 is m1=0.1kg and of puck 2 m2=0.5kg. The collision is not elastic.

What is the velocity of puck 2 after the collision?

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8082/breznaslova.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    Equation of momentum P=mv
    Pythagorean theorem c2=a2+b2

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I calculated the angle using the radiuses of the pucks and I got Cos([tex]\alpha[/tex])=[tex]\frac{r2-r1}{r2+r1}[/tex]
    I got that [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 70.5 degrees.

Then I went on to figure out momentums. I figured out this:
    http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/8120/breznaslova2.jpg [Broken]
    The angle between P0 and P2 is [tex]\alpha[/tex].
    Then I went on to make the P1 the hypotenus and the opposite is P1y which is the same as P=m1v1. From that I calculated the angle and then the adjacent P1x. Am I right to think that the velocity I am looking for is vx=[tex]\frac{P1x}{m2}[/tex].

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2
    Does noone have an idea how to do this?

4. Feb 5, 2010 #3
    buuuuuuuump

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook