Confirming Velocity Direction After Inelastic Collision

In summary: Your answer will be less than 90°, so it will be θ = 26°, which is the same as the textbook's answer.In summary, the initial velocity of the less massive truck is 9.1 m/s [26° N of W]. This is determined by using the Law of Cosines to find the momentum of the second truck after the collision, and then using the Law of Sines to find the angle opposite that momentum. The angle opposite the momentum of the first truck is then found by subtracting the previous angle and the given angle of 16° from 180°. The final answer is the velocity of the second
tobywashere

Homework Statement

I can solve this problem, but I keep getting a different answer from the textbook. I just want to confirm whether I'm wrong or the textbook is wrong.

A truck of mass 2.3 x 104 kg traveling at 15 m/s [51° S of W] collides with a second truck of mass 1.2 x 104 kg. The collision is completely inelastic. The trucks have a common velocity of 11 m/s [35° S of W] after the collision.

Determine the initial velocity of the less massive truck.

Homework Equations

v`(m1 + m2) = v1m1 + v2m2
Cosine law
Sine law

The Attempt at a Solution

P22 = 3850002 +3450002 -2(385000)(345000)cos16°
P2 = 109045
V = P2 / m2
V = 109045 / 1.2 x 104
V = 9.1 m/s
This part of my answer is the same as the textbook's answer. It's the direction of the velocity that differs.

(sin16°)/109045= sinθ/385000
θ = 77°
Since the momentum of the lighter second truck is in the north west quadrant:
180° - (77° + 51°) = 53°
Therefore, the velocity of the second truck is 9.1 m/s [53° N of W]
The textbook says that the velocity is [26° N of W]
Can anyone check if this is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
bummmmmppppp

tobywashere: Your answer is incorrect. The textbook is correct. Keep trying.

Write the momenta of the bodies before and after collision along X and Y axis
take the unknown velocity as: x(i) +y(j)

Use conservation of momentum separately along X and Y axis!

tobywashere: Hint: Your approach in post 1 seemed fairly good, except I currently think it failed because, it just so happened, you ran into the ambiguous case of the sine law. Try again.

tobywashere said:

Homework Statement

I can solve this problem, but I keep getting a different answer from the textbook. I just want to confirm whether I'm wrong or the textbook is wrong.

A truck of mass 2.3 x 104 kg traveling at 15 m/s [51° S of W] collides with a second truck of mass 1.2 x 104 kg. The collision is completely inelastic. The trucks have a common velocity of 11 m/s [35° S of W] after the collision.

Determine the initial velocity of the less massive truck.

Homework Equations

v`(m1 + m2) = v1m1 + v2m2
Cosine law
Sine law

The Attempt at a Solution

P22 = 3850002 +3450002 -2(385000)(345000)cos16°
P2 = 109045
V = P2 / m2
V = 109045 / 1.2 x 104
V = 9.1 m/s
This part of my answer is the same as the textbook's answer. It's the direction of the velocity that differs.

(sin16°)/109045= sinθ/385000
θ = 77°
Since the momentum of the lighter second truck is in the north west quadrant:
180° - (77° + 51°) = 53°
Therefore, the velocity of the second truck is 9.1 m/s [53° N of W]
The textbook says that the velocity is [26° N of W]
Can anyone check if this is right?

The problem is that sin(103°) is the same as sin(77°).

You used the Law of Cosines to find the third side (p2) of the momentum triangle. There's no problem with that.

Then you used the Law Of Sines to find the angle opposite the longest side of the triangle. That can give two possible results, depending upon whether the triangle has an obtuse angle or not.

If you had used the Law of Sines to find the other unknown angle, the angle opposite p1 (345000 kg·m2/s2) that angle cannot be obtuse, since p1 is not the longest side.

Find angle ɸ, which is opposite side p1 using Law of Sines:

(sin16°)/109045 = (sin ɸ)/345000

Then find θ by subtracting ɸ and 16° from 180°.

1. How is velocity direction determined in an inelastic collision?

Velocity direction in an inelastic collision is determined by the conservation of momentum and the law of restitution. The direction of the resultant velocity vector is dependent on the masses and velocities of the objects involved in the collision.

2. Can velocity direction change during an inelastic collision?

Yes, velocity direction can change during an inelastic collision. This is because the objects involved in the collision are typically moving in different directions and have different masses, causing the resultant velocity to change direction.

3. What factors affect the direction of velocity after an inelastic collision?

The direction of velocity after an inelastic collision is affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved, as well as the angle at which they collide. The coefficient of restitution, which measures the elasticity of the collision, also plays a role in determining the final velocity direction.

4. How can we confirm the direction of velocity after an inelastic collision?

The direction of velocity after an inelastic collision can be confirmed by using vector addition and the conservation of momentum equations. By calculating the resultant velocity vector and comparing it to the initial velocities of the objects, we can confirm the direction of velocity after the collision.

5. What happens if the direction of velocity is not conserved in an inelastic collision?

If the direction of velocity is not conserved in an inelastic collision, it means that the law of restitution has been violated. This could be due to external forces, such as friction, acting on the objects during the collision. In such cases, the final velocity direction may not be accurate and further analysis may be needed.