1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D Motion part deux

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object is shot from the origin with a velocity of 40.0 m/s at an angle of 55.0 degrees above the horizontal. What is the location of the object 3.00 seconds later?

2. Relevant equations

All 2D motion equations - too many to list Ex:

[tex] V_x = v_0x + a_x t [/tex]

[tex] V_y = v_0y + a_y t [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I am having trouble with is the 3.0 seconds later part. I am not sure how to approach this one. I have to find the x displacement and then the angle [tex] \theta [/tex] which is no problem to do when I know [tex] V_y and V_x [/tex].

So I tried this:

[tex] \Delta x = 40 cos(55)3.0 = 68.8m [/tex] , but none of the answer choices match this. So I must be doing something wrong. I also can't get a correct answer for [tex] V_y and V_x [/tex] with these I could plug them into the inverse tangent equation and get an angle. To find [tex] V_x [/tex] I do this:

[tex] V_x = 40 cos (55) = 22.9 [/tex]

for [tex] V_y [/tex] I do this :

[tex] V_y = 40 sin (55) - (9.80)(3.0^2) = -55.4 [/tex]

I am not sure that I am using the time variable correctly.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2

sylas

Science Advisor

You can solve the horizontal and vertical parts independently.

Your Δx of 68.8 looks fine.

Your final equation for Vy is wrong. Are you calculating a velocity, or a distance?

Under relevant equations, you've given a correct formula for getting a velocity, given initial velocity and acceleration.... but it doesn't have a t2 factor anywhere. The question, of course, requires a distance.

Do you know an equation for distance, given an initial velocity, an acceleration, and a time?

Cheers -- sylas

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3
    well there is this one:

[tex] \Delta x = V_0_x t + (1/2) (a_x) t^2 [/tex]

but [tex] a [/tex] in the horizontal direction = 0 in this case. So I am back to where I started.

I am trying to find, where the object is going to end up after 3.00 seconds.

I need the distance traveled in 3 seconds. And then I need to find the angle that vector makes with the x-axis using the inverse tangent equation. But to use the tangent equation I need to find [tex] V_y and V_x [/tex]

These are the equations from my book:

[tex] V_y = V_0 sin \theta - gt [/tex]
    [tex] V_x = V_0 cos \theta [/tex]

when I use these, it doesn't work out.

5. Sep 20, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That correctly gave you x=68.8 m. If you use the analogous equation for Δy, you'll get y as well.

Since the question asks for the location of the object, all you need is x and y. We don't need Vx, Vy, or the distance travelled.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook