2nd order pertubation theory of harmonic oscillator

In summary, Homework Equations state that the 2nd order energy shift is given by: E_{n}^{2}=\sum\limits_{m\ne n}{\frac{{{\left| \left\langle \psi _{m}^{0} \right|H'\left| \psi _{n}^{0} \right\rangle \right|}^{2}}}{E_{n}^{0}-E_{m}^{0}}} The Attempt at a Solution calculates two integrals, one for when n=m and one for when n>m, but does not seem to know what to do next because the two integrals are not zero at the
Denver Dang

Homework Statement

I'm having some trouble calculating the 2nd order energy shift in a problem.
I am given the pertubation:
[tex]\hat{H}'=\alpha \hat{p},[/tex]
where $\alpha$ is a constant, and [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] is given by:
[tex]p=i\sqrt{\frac{\hbar m\omega }{2}}\left( {{a}_{+}}-{{a}_{-}} \right),[/tex]
where [itex]{a}_{+}[/itex] and [itex]{a}_{-}[/itex] are the usual ladder operators.

Homework Equations

Now, according to my book, the 2nd order energy shift is given by:
[tex]E_{n}^{2}=\sum\limits_{m\ne n}{\frac{{{\left| \left\langle \psi _{m}^{0} \right|H'\left| \psi _{n}^{0} \right\rangle \right|}^{2}}}{E_{n}^{0}-E_{m}^{0}}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, what I have tried to do is to calculate the term inside the power of 2. And so far I have done this:
[tex]\begin{align}
& E_{n}^{1}=\alpha i\sqrt{\frac{\hbar m\omega }{2}}\int{\psi _{m}^{*}\left( {{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}-{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}} \right)}\,{{\psi }_{n}}\,dx=\alpha i\sqrt{\frac{\hbar m\omega }{2}}\left( \int{\psi _{m}^{*}\,{{{\hat{a}}}_{+}}{{\psi }_{n}}\,dx-\int{\psi _{m}^{*}\,{{{\hat{a}}}_{-}}{{\psi }_{n}}\,dx}} \right) \\
& =\alpha i\sqrt{\frac{\hbar m\omega }{2}}\left( \sqrt{n+1}\int{\psi _{m}^{*}\,{{\psi }_{n+1}}\,dx-\sqrt{n}\int{\psi _{m}^{*}\,{{\psi }_{n-1}}\,dx}} \right)
\end{align}
[/tex]
As you can see, I end up with the two integrals. But I don't know what to do next ? 'Cause if [itex]m > n[/itex], and only by 1, then the first integral will be 1, and the other will be zero. And if [itex]n > m[/itex], only by 1, then the second integral will be 1, and the first will be zero. Otherwise both will be zero.
And it seems wrong to have to make two expressions for the energy shift for [itex]n > m[/itex] and [itex]m > n[/itex].

So am I on the right track, or doing it totally wrong ?

Thanks in advance.Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. You will not have two different expressions depending on your n and m values because you sum over the m values. So you will only have two integrals that are not zero but you will sum and square them giving you one second order energy shift.

Hmmm, not sure I understand.
How can the two integrals be not zero at the same time ?

As far as I know, the integrals above is either zero if [itex]n \neq m[/itex], and 1 if [itex]n = m[/itex].
And this is, as far as I can see, not possible for both of them at the same time. At least not in the way I have written it down. Or...?

The two integrals do not have to be nonzero at the same time (i.e., for the same m). One integral will be nonzero for one value of m and the other integral will be nonzero for a different value of m.

Right so just for an example pretend you had m=5. When summing over n you would keep the n=4 term and the n=6 term because these would be the only two non-zero integrals.

I see...
Thank you very much :)

1. What is 2nd order perturbation theory of harmonic oscillator?

The 2nd order perturbation theory of harmonic oscillator is a mathematical method used to calculate the energy levels and wavefunctions of a quantum harmonic oscillator when it is subjected to a perturbation or external force.

2. How does 2nd order perturbation theory differ from 1st order perturbation theory?

2nd order perturbation theory takes into account the second-order corrections to the energy levels and wavefunctions, while 1st order perturbation theory only considers the first-order corrections. This makes 2nd order perturbation theory more accurate and useful for more complex systems.

3. What is the perturbation parameter in 2nd order perturbation theory?

The perturbation parameter in 2nd order perturbation theory is a small number that represents the strength of the external force or perturbation on the harmonic oscillator. It is typically denoted by λ and is used to expand the energy levels and wavefunctions in a power series.

4. How is 2nd order perturbation theory applied in practice?

In practice, 2nd order perturbation theory is applied by first solving the unperturbed harmonic oscillator equation to obtain the energy levels and wavefunctions. Then, the perturbation parameter is introduced and the energy levels and wavefunctions are expanded in a power series. Finally, the perturbation corrections are calculated and added to the unperturbed solutions to obtain the 2nd order corrected energy levels and wavefunctions.

5. What are the limitations of 2nd order perturbation theory?

2nd order perturbation theory is only applicable for small perturbations and cannot be used for strong or non-linear perturbations. It is also limited to systems with a discrete and non-degenerate energy spectrum. For systems with continuous or degenerate energy levels, higher order perturbation theories may be necessary.