3 forces act in equilibrium, calculate their angles

In summary: Thanks for that information. In summary, the cosine rule is a good way to solve for the angles between the forces.
alanm
I have 3 forces, I assume that the resultant is equilibrium, that is just a guess.

a - 12N
b - 5N
c - 13N

how do i calculate the angles between the forces.

I think I have to use the cosine rule but am not really sure. I have a book Physics made Simple but it doesn't really help

Alan

Physics news on Phys.org
If the forces are in equilibrium, then the resultant is 0. And this is the correct conlusion and not a guess.Right?

hi,
the bits I need are the angles between each set of forces. I am just not clear on how to do this.

alan

Hi Alan,

If the result is not equilibrium then this problem is currently unsolvable, so assume it is. This is evident by the fact you have 3 unknown variables, the angle between each force, and you require at least 3 equations to solve this.

The first two equations you may construct by drawing the problem as a scalene triangle with 3 unknowns, then setting one of the forces along the x-axis (you could equally use the y axis). Then resolve the forces along the x and y-axis giving the first 2 equations:

note: you will need to define a direction for each force. I have assumed directions, did they give you this information?

Along x: 1) ...

Along y: 2) ...

You can then use the cosine rule, and or a+b+c=180 (if a,b,c are the 3 angles). Let me know how you get on

There are several ways to approach the problem. One is to construct a set of simultaneous equations involving the vector components and solve for them, then determine the angles from there. A simple approach is to put the longest vector on the minus x-axis (so it has no y-components, just an x-component), then find the orientation of the two other vectors that have zero sum y components and x-components that cancel the first vector. Four equations in four unknowns.

Another approach is to use, as you've surmised, the cosine rule. A triangle constructed from sides whose lengths are the vector lengths will have angles that are related to (but not the same as!) those between the vectors. Subtract the angles you find from pi to determine the inter-vector angles. (If you're interested, it has to do with the exterior angles of the triangle and their relationships to the vector angles). This is a pretty good approach!

thanks, I came up with the cosine rule but struggled to get there.

alan

1. How do you determine the angles of the three forces in equilibrium?

The angles of the three forces can be determined using the Law of Cosines, which states that the square of one side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of the two sides and the cosine of the angle between them. By rearranging this formula, we can solve for the angle between the two known sides and the unknown side, which represents the direction of the third force.

2. What is meant by "equilibrium" in the context of three forces?

Equilibrium in this context means that the three forces are balanced and cancel each other out. This means that there is no net force acting on the object, and it will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity.

3. Can you have more or less than three forces in equilibrium?

No, for a system to be in equilibrium, there must be three forces acting on it. If there are more or less than three forces, the system will not be in equilibrium and will experience a net force and acceleration.

4. What happens if the angles of the three forces are not correctly calculated?

If the angles are not correctly calculated, the forces will not be in equilibrium and the object will experience a net force and acceleration. This can result in the object moving in an unintended direction or even breaking apart.

5. How is the concept of equilibrium related to Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's first law of motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. When three forces are in equilibrium, there is no net force acting on the object, and it will obey this law. Additionally, the calculations of the angles of the three forces in equilibrium follow from the application of Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.