3-PhaseInduction Motor slip baffling problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque and air gap power for a 3 phase induction motor. The air gap power is determined by dividing the motor power by the slip, which can be calculated using the number of poles and the synchronous speed. However, the slip cannot be accurately determined without knowing the number of poles. The slip at rated operation is still undetermined.
medwatt
Hello, I was trying to solve a problem about induction motors but was baffled at one point.
Here's the question.

Nameplate of a 3 phase induction motor has the following information:

Power = 3kw, speed = 1430rpm, f= 50hz, PF = 0.85, V= 380v
Neglect Stator Impedance.

Q1. Calculate Torque : T= (Motor Power)/(angular velocity of motor) = 20.02 Nm (confirmed from answers)

Q2. Calculate the air gap power ?

What I did :
I know that the air gap power is the same as the rotatory magnetic field power which is at synchronous speed. I also know that this power is all sent to the rotor as (I^2)R/(slip) meaning that :

P (air gap)= Power of Motor / (1 - slip)

My problem I don't seem to find a way to calculate the slip because I don't know the number of poles used since:

slip = ( synchronous speed - motor speed ) / synchronous speed

where synchronous speed (rev/min) = ( 120 * frequency ) / # of polesPlease, if someone has an idea, how the air gap power can be calculated I will appreciate that.

Ans = Air gap power = 3.144KW

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lets try some educated guessing:

( p = # poles, n=synchronous speed, s=slip )

1. p=2 -> n=3000 rpm -> s= 0.52
2. p=4 -> n=1500 rpm -> s= 0.047
3. p=6 -> n= 750 rpm -> s= -0.9

In what order of magnitude is the slip in an induction machine at rated operation ?

Based on this reasoning and ruling out all the alternatives, the answer is left alone.

Related to 3-PhaseInduction Motor slip baffling problem

1. What is a 3-phase induction motor slip baffling problem?

A 3-phase induction motor slip baffling problem refers to a situation where the motor's rotor slips or falls out of synchronization with the rotating magnetic field of the stator, resulting in reduced efficiency and potential damage to the motor.

2. What causes slip baffling in 3-phase induction motors?

Slip baffling can be caused by a variety of factors, including inadequate power supply, excessive load on the motor, improper motor design, or mechanical issues such as worn bearings or misalignment.

3. How can I detect slip baffling in a 3-phase induction motor?

Some signs of slip baffling in a 3-phase induction motor include abnormal noise, reduced motor speed, and increased energy consumption. A professional electrician can also perform tests using specialized equipment to identify slip baffling.

4. What are the potential consequences of slip baffling in 3-phase induction motors?

If left unresolved, slip baffling can lead to decreased motor efficiency, increased energy costs, and potential damage to the motor. In severe cases, it may also result in motor failure, requiring expensive repairs or replacement.

5. How can I prevent or fix slip baffling in 3-phase induction motors?

Proper motor design, regular maintenance, and prompt identification and repair of any mechanical issues can help prevent slip baffling in 3-phase induction motors. If slip baffling is already occurring, a professional electrician can diagnose the cause and make necessary repairs to resolve the issue.