Solve 3D Kinematics Problem with Homework Equations | Attempted Solution

In summary, The horizontal range of the plane refers to its distance from the radar site without taking into account its altitude. The original person was interpreting it as the distance to the east, which is incorrect. They were corrected by another person who explained that horizontal in this context refers to the x and y dimensions.
togame

Homework Statement

I know pictures aren't the best, but here it is.
7gkPxQB.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my work for this problem. Disregard the drawing as it isn't right.

I'm not sure if I'm misinterpreting the horizontal range part or what. I feel pretty confident about my work but webassign says it's wrong and I don't really see why.
phYjMsvl.jpg

Link to original if it's not big enough

Physics news on Phys.org
The horizontal range of the plane means its distance from the radar site without including the plane's altitude.
You are treating the horizontal range as the distance to the east, which is incorrect.

Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
The horizontal range of the plane means its distance from the radar site without including the plane's altitude.
You are treating the horizontal range as the distance to the east, which is incorrect.

Ahhh. You were absolutely spot on. I was unaware that they were using horizontal in the sense of x and y. Thank you very much.

What is a 3D kinematics problem?

A 3D kinematics problem involves the study of the motion of objects in three-dimensional space. It typically includes analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time.

What are the key concepts in solving a 3D kinematics problem?

The key concepts in solving a 3D kinematics problem include understanding vectors, coordinate systems, and the equations of motion (such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration).

What are some common equations used in solving 3D kinematics problems?

Some common equations used in solving 3D kinematics problems include the vector equation for position (r = r0 + v0t + 1/2at^2), the equation for velocity (v = v0 + at), and the equation for acceleration (a = (vf - v0)/t).

What are some real-world applications of 3D kinematics?

3D kinematics has many real-world applications, including in fields such as robotics, biomechanics, and animation. It is also used in sports analysis and in studying the motion of celestial bodies.

How can I improve my skills in solving 3D kinematics problems?

To improve your skills in solving 3D kinematics problems, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of problems. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, and tutors. Additionally, developing a strong understanding of vectors and coordinate systems can greatly aid in solving 3D kinematics problems.