Proving the Sum of Vector Areas in a Tetrahedron is Zero

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving four vectors erected perpendicular to the four faces of a tetrahedron. It is shown that the sum of these vectors is zero. The conversation also mentions a similar problem for a plane triangle, where the sum of the three vectors representing the sides of the triangle is zero. A possible solution is provided, involving rotating the triangle and using side vectors. There is also a request for clarification on how to solve the problem.
plexus0208

Homework Statement

Four vectors are erected perpendicular to the four faces of a general tetrahedron. Each vector is pointing outwards and has a length equal to the area of the face. Show that the sum of these four vectors is zero.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let A, B and C be vectors representing the three edges starting from a fixed vertex. Then, express each of the four vectors in terms of A, B and C.

Physics news on Phys.org

I figured out how to do the problem.

But there's another part to the problem: Formulate and prove the analogous statement for a plane triangle.

What is meant by a "planar triangle"?

i think it probably just means any normal triangle (normal in the sense that it is contained within in a plane in R^3, so planar)

can you show it for such? where I'm guessing the analogy is area to length

Put your triangle in the xy plane; label the vertices A,B,C clockwise. Make vectors of the sides going from A to B, B to C, C to A (i.e, [itex]\vec a = B - A[/itex] etc.). Those side vectors add to the zero vector. Now rotate the triangle 90 degrees counterclockwise and they become perpendicular to the original sides pointing outward and the right length. Presto!

I am trying to solve this same problem. Would the person who asked the question and said he/she figured it out please tell me how its done? Unfortunately, it is just not clicking with me. Thank you.

Could you explain how you solved this?

1. What is a tetrahedron?

A tetrahedron is a three-dimensional geometric shape with four triangular faces, six edges, and four vertices.

2. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical concept that represents both magnitude and direction. In physics, it is often used to describe the movement of an object.

3. Why is the sum of vector areas in a tetrahedron important?

The sum of vector areas in a tetrahedron is important because it helps to understand and analyze the forces acting on an object in three-dimensional space. It also has applications in fields such as engineering and physics.

4. How is the sum of vector areas in a tetrahedron calculated?

The sum of vector areas in a tetrahedron is calculated by finding the cross product of two adjacent vectors on each face of the tetrahedron and then summing the magnitudes of these cross products.

5. What does it mean if the sum of vector areas in a tetrahedron is zero?

If the sum of vector areas in a tetrahedron is zero, it means that the forces acting on the object are balanced and the object is in a state of equilibrium. This can also be interpreted as all the opposing forces in the tetrahedron canceling each other out.