"5000kg Interceptor Rocket Trajectory & Speed

• Thread starter barthayn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocket
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 5000kg interceptor rocket launched at an angle of 44.7 degrees with a thrust of 140,700N. The task is to find an equation for the rocket's trajectory, determine its shape, and find the elevation at which it reaches the speed of sound. The angle and initial speed are subject to change due to the force of gravity, resulting in a curved trajectory. Calculus and kinematic equations are needed to solve the problem, and a computer simulation may also be helpful.
barthayn

Homework Statement

A 5000kg interceptor rocket is launched at an angle of 44.7 degrees. The thrust of the rocket motor is 140,700N
a) Find an equation y(x) that describes the rocket's trajectory
b) What shape is the trajectory?
c) At what elevation does the rocket reach the speed of sound, 330m/s?

Homework Equations

kinematic equations
Newton's laws

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem sheet hint tells me that the angle is not 44.7 degrees. So is it right that it should be 45.3 degrees then? Furthermore, speed initial is 0m/s correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The angle will vary. The force of gravity will reduce the angle. It will be a curved trajectory with the angle continuously changing. Yes, it appears that the initial velocity is zero.

Write the equations for vertical and horizontal motion to find out what happens. Looks interesting!

Delphi51 said:
The angle will vary. The force of gravity will reduce the angle. It will be a curved trajectory with the angle continuously changing. Yes, it appears that the initial velocity is zero.

Write the equations for vertical and horizontal motion to find out what happens. Looks interesting!

I don't see how to start off a then because I get something over the initial velocity squared, which is zero. As a result, it should not be defined. Any hints?

Oops, sorry, I shouldn't have commented. I don't know how to solve it. Quite a little set of differential equations involved! I can find the answers using a computer simulation but I've lost the ability to do varying acceleration problems via calculus.

Funny, according to my little spreadsheet model, it doesn't get far off the ground.
The component of the thrust in the vertical direction is very soon overcome by gravity and the rocket loses angle very quickly.
rocket.jpg

Last edited:

As a scientist, it is important to approach this problem with precision and accuracy. The given information is not enough to accurately determine the trajectory and speed of the rocket. The angle of 44.7 degrees and the thrust of 140,700N are important factors, but other variables such as air resistance, gravity, and the rocket's shape and design also play a significant role in determining the trajectory and speed.

To accurately calculate the rocket's trajectory, we would need more information such as the rocket's initial velocity, its mass and shape, and the atmospheric conditions. We would also need to consider the effects of air resistance and gravity, which can change the trajectory from a simple parabolic shape.

Regarding the question about the rocket reaching the speed of sound, the rocket's velocity is not given, so it is not possible to determine at what elevation it would reach the speed of sound. We would need to know the rocket's initial velocity and the atmospheric conditions to accurately calculate this.

In summary, as a scientist, it is important to consider all the variables and limitations when solving a problem. Without accurate and complete information, it is not possible to provide a precise response.

Related to "5000kg Interceptor Rocket Trajectory & Speed

1. What is the purpose of the 5000kg Interceptor Rocket?

The 5000kg Interceptor Rocket is designed to intercept and destroy incoming missiles or other space objects in order to protect a specific area or target.

2. How does the trajectory of the rocket impact its speed?

The trajectory of the rocket is directly related to its speed. A steeper trajectory will result in a higher speed, whereas a flatter trajectory will result in a lower speed. This is due to the effects of gravity and air resistance on the rocket's movement.

3. How is the trajectory and speed of the rocket calculated?

The trajectory and speed of the rocket are calculated using various mathematical models and simulations. Factors such as launch angle, thrust, air resistance, and gravity are taken into account to determine the optimal trajectory and speed for the rocket to reach its target.

4. Can the trajectory and speed of the rocket be adjusted during flight?

Yes, the trajectory and speed of the rocket can be adjusted during flight using onboard guidance systems. These systems use real-time data and feedback to make necessary adjustments to ensure the rocket reaches its target with maximum accuracy and efficiency.

5. What is the maximum speed and range of the 5000kg Interceptor Rocket?

The maximum speed and range of the 5000kg Interceptor Rocket can vary depending on several factors such as launch conditions, target distance, and payload weight. On average, this type of rocket can reach speeds of up to Mach 5 and has a range of over 500 km.