A ball is thrown into the air + missing class

In summary, the ball is thrown upwards at a constant velocity of 30m/s until it reaches a height of 60m.
yumito

Homework Statement

Gravity = 10m/s/s

The quotes are tables i just couldn't figure out how to make them.

I don't know if velocity is suppose to change but i used 30 for each making the assumption its how hard the initial throw was.

Homework Equations

A ball is thrown into the air

Time (seconds)___Acceleration(m/s/s)___Velocity (m/s)___height (m)
______0_________________________________30___________0
______1
______2
______3
______4
______5
______6
I don't know exactly what the teacher wants because i missed a class but with a couple of assumptions this is what i got

The Attempt at a Solution

A ball is thrown into the air

Time (seconds)___Acceleration(m/s/s)___Velocity (m/s)___height (m)
______0_______________0m/s/s______________30____________0
______1______________ 30m/s/s_____________ 30___________30
______2______________ 20m/s/s______________30___________50
______3______________ 10m/s/s______________30___________60
______4_______________0m/s/s______________30____________60
______5______________-10m/s/s______________30___________50
______6______________-20m/s/s______________30___________30

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that "10m/s/s" is not "gravity"; rather, it is the acceleration [ magnitude ] due to gravity.

Now, with that said, which one is constant and which one changes with time: acceleration or velocity?

I'm assuming that you know the definition of these terms. If not then go back to your book/notes.

i know its not gravity just trying to speed up the process, and the only thing constant is the seconds.
thats the issue I am having. In the first tabel its suppose to be blank for acceleration i will fix that.
the only things given are for 0 seconds the velocity is 30 and the height is 0.

Recall from Newton's 2nd law that an object in motion will stay in motion unless some force acts upon it.

The force of gravity will tend to pull the ball back down to Earth's surface. This force is constant! If you draw a free body diagram of the ball at any point during its trajectory, you will see that its weight is the only relevant force (due to gravity). This weight must be constant.

Suppose you give the ball an initial velocity (you have to or it won't go anywhere). It will travel upwards, but its velocity should decrease, shouldn't it? Eventually, it reaches some maximum height and then continues downward, until it hits the ground.

yumito said:
i know its not gravity just trying to speed up the process, and the only thing constant is the seconds.
thats the issue I am having. In the first tabel its suppose to be blank for acceleration i will fix that.
the only things given are for 0 seconds the velocity is 30 and the height is 0.

If you say that the acceleration of gravity is 10m/s/s, then it is constant. Your 2nd table does not reflect that.

just a question is my acceleration correct? or should acceleration just be 10m/s/s for each?

My post above yours answers that question.

One small point! Newtons second law does not state "an object in motion will stay in motion unless some force acts upon it"

Think the posts above me explain it well enough. All I can add is it is not m/s/s...this would mean ms/s = m.
Acceleration is m/s^2

m/s/s is not the same as ms/s.
The best way to see this is to write it a m x s^-1 x s^-1 which is m/s^2

Now let's get on with the problem. Use the SUVAT equations of motion for constant acceleration g. The initial velocity is also given. At t = 1, find the velocity and displacement after 1 second has elapsed. Then plug in t = 2 and do the same. Etcetera.

Related to A ball is thrown into the air + missing class

1. What happens to a ball when it is thrown into the air?

When a ball is thrown into the air, it follows a path known as a projectile motion. This means that the ball moves in a curved path due to the force of gravity pulling it towards the ground.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a ball thrown into the air?

The trajectory of a ball thrown into the air is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the throw, the angle at which it is thrown, and air resistance. These factors can all impact the height, distance, and speed at which the ball travels.

3. Can a ball thrown into the air ever reach the same height it was thrown from?

Yes, if there is no air resistance and the initial velocity and angle of the throw are just right, a ball can reach the same height it was thrown from. This is known as the maximum height of the projectile.

4. How does air resistance affect a ball thrown into the air?

Air resistance, also known as drag, slows down the motion of a ball thrown into the air. The shape and size of the ball, as well as the density of the air, can all impact the amount of air resistance experienced by the ball.

5. Why is it important to understand the science behind a ball thrown into the air?

Understanding the science behind a ball thrown into the air can help us predict and analyze the motion of objects in our daily lives, from throwing a ball to launching a rocket. It also allows us to make informed decisions when it comes to sports, engineering, and other fields that involve motion and projectiles.