1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ball tied up at an angular plane: Forces and torque

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spherical ball with radius R and mass M is kept in place at a plane with angle θ. The ball is kept in place with a string, as shown in this picture:
    cSuUW.jpg

Given R = 20cm, M = 3.0kg, and θ = 30°, find:
    1) the tension of the string.
    2) the normal force on the ball from the plane.
    3) the size of the friction force on the ball.

2. Relevant equations

I assume the ball to be in static equlibrium, so the sum of forces acting on the ball must be zero, as must the sum of torques:
    [tex] \sum \vec{F} = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] \sum \vec{\tau} = 0 [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Based on the information given, I've found 4 forces acting on the ball: The gravity G, the normal force N, the frictional force F, and the force from the string T.

pub?id=1R6UXxLF52EBEGHmrenkMVdTT2k2zX-nJiLHtGRWAkg8&w=430&h=269.png

Based on this, I've come up with 3 equations:
    [tex] \vec{T} + \vec{F_x} = \vec{N_x} \rightarrow T\hat{x} + Fcos(\theta)\hat{x} = N cos(90-\theta)\hat{x}[/tex]
    [tex] \vec{N_y} + \vec{F_y} = M\vec{g} \rightarrow Nsin(90-\theta)\hat{y} + Fsin(\theta)\hat{y} = Mg\hat{y}[/tex]
    [tex] \vec{T} \times \vec{R} + \vec{F} \times \vec{R} + \vec{N} \times \vec{R} = 0 [/tex]

My real problem is, I can't figure anything out from the third equation. Is my problem purely mathematical? Or have I made a mistake during the decomposing of the forces?

Thanks in advance for any advice! Also sorry for any (big) spelling mistakes.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

You have decomposed the forces correctly, but you can do more with the third equation. Have a look at each of the terms, and look at the (very neat) diagram you have drawn. Can you immediately evaluate one of the terms?

4. Feb 28, 2012 #3
    Right, so by the definition of cross product, I get the third equation to be
    [tex] RT + RF = 0 [/tex]
    Solving this system of equations yields
    [tex] T = -109.7 [/tex]
    [tex] F = 109.7 [/tex]
    [tex] N = -29.4 [/tex]
    Shouldn't N be positive? And the size of T and F seems a little big to me..

5. Feb 28, 2012 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

This isn't quite right, which is why the rest of the calculation will have gone awry. You had the equation:
    [tex]\vec{T} \times \vec{R} + \vec{F} \times \vec{R} + \vec{N} \times \vec{R} = 0 [/tex]
    And each of the R vectors correspond to the position vectors where each of the forces are applied. In other words, the R vectors are generally different for each. And using the definition of the cross product, we don't get RT + RF = 0 (but you are close!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook