A few questions - I want to make sure I did it right

• Thread starter nyclio
  • Start date
Yes, that's correct. Good job!In summary, the conversation discusses a physics test in which the student answered 3 out of 4 questions correctly. The student seeks help in verifying their answers and also asks for assistance with a question involving simple harmonic motion. The expert provides guidance and corrections on the questions and helps the student arrive at the correct answers.
nyclio
I recently had a physics test and here are the questions that were given. I answered 3 out of 4. Would an expert please be able to tell me if I got them right or if not, please lead me in the right direction? I would wait to get my test back but that won't be for another 2 weeks and I am curious. Thanks in advance. :)

A 0.20 kilogram mass is sliding on a horizontal, frictionless air track with a speed of 3.0 meters per second when it instantaneously hits and sticks to a 1.3 kilogram mass initially at rest on the track. The 1.3 kilogram mass is connected to one end of a massless spring, which has a spring constant of 100 Newtons per meter. The other end of the spring is fixed.

A) Determine the following for the 0.20 kilogram mass immediately BEFORE the impact.

1. Its linear momentum:

p=mv
= (0.20)(3)
=0.6 kg*m/s

2. It's kinetic energy:

KE=0.5(mv^2)
=0.5(0.20)(9)
=0.9 J

B) Determine the following for the COMBINED MASSES immediately AFTER the impact.

1. Its linear momentum:

p=(m1+m2)v
= (0.20+1.3)(3)
=4.5 kg*m/s

2. It's kinetic energy:

KE=0.5(m1+m2)(v^2)
=0.5(0.20+1.3)(9)
=6.75 J

After the collision, the two masses undergo simple harmonic motion about their position at impact.

C) Determine the amplitude of the harmonic motion.

I had no idea what to use for this?

D) Determine the period of the harmonic motion:

f=(1/2pi)*(sqrt(k/m1+m2))

T=1/f
=1/(1/2pi)*(sqrt(100/1.5))
=1/12.829 s

Any help on this is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Answers to A1 and A2 are correct. You have to recheck B1 and B2. The question asks for the momentum of the combined mass immediately after collision (ie just before the spring force starts to have an effect). That is determined by the initial momenta of the two masses. Having said this find the velocity. C asks for the maximum displacement of the masses on either side of equillibrium position. Use conservation of energy.

So for B1:

m1v1(initial)+m2v2(initial)=(m1+m2)v(final)

v(final)=(m1v1(initial))/m1+m2
=(0.20)(3)/1.5
=0.4 m/s

p=mv
=(1.5)(0.4)
=0.6 kg*m/s

B2:
0.5m1v1(initial)^2+0.5m2v2(initial)^2=0.5m1v1(final)^2+0.5m2v2(final)^2

0.5m1v1(initial)^2=0.5(m1+m2)v(final)^2

v(final)=1.095 m/s

KE=0.5(m1+m2)(v(final)^2)
=.891 J

Is this the answer for B1 and B2?

Last edited:
You're approach to the first one is right, but check you calculations.

As for B2, it's just 0.5M(v(final)^2); M = m1+m2.

B2 i see had the wrong calculations;

0.5M(v(final)^2)

It should come out to .899 J. But I double checked the calcuations for B1 - it still comes out to 0.4 - did I set it up incorrectly?

nyclio said:
B2 i see had the wrong calculations;

0.5M(v(final)^2)

It should come out to .899 J.
Comes to .12 J with v=0.4m/s.

But I double checked the calcuations for B1 - it still comes out to 0.4 - did I set it up incorrectly?

I believe you had typed 0.46 or something before I posted my previous reply. You had missed m2 in the denominator.

neutrino said:
Comes to .12 J with v=0.4m/s.

I believe you had typed 0.46 or something before I posted my previous reply. You had missed m2 in the denominator.

Oh yes - I had corrected the original post - question though - how come when I do v(final) using conservation of momentum and when i do it using conservation of mechanical energy - i come up with 2 different answers? You can see what I mean above - one answer gave me 0.4 m/s for vfinal (momentum) and the energy way gave me 1.095 m/s.

nyclio said:
how come when I do v(final) using conservation of momentum and when i do it using conservation of mechanical energy - i come up with 2 different answers? You can see what I mean above - one answer gave me 0.4 m/s for vfinal (momentum) and the energy way gave me 1.095 m/s.
That's becuase you've assumed that kinetic energy is conserved. It is not conserved since this is a completely inelastic colission.

neutrino said:
That's becuase you've assumed that kinetic energy is conserved. It is not conserved since this is a completely inelastic colission.

Arghh I totally forgot!

I am still unsure of questions C and D. Thanks for the help so far!

On the right track for D, but calculation needs checking, again. Check my first post for a hint for C.

D) Determine the period of the harmonic motion:

f=(1/2pi)*(sqrt(k/m1+m2))

1/2pi = 1.571
k/m1+m2 = 100/1.5 = 66.7
sqrt (66.7)= 8.167
1.571*8.167=12.829

T=1/f
=1/(1/2pi)*(sqrt(100/1.5))
=1/12.829 s

Where am i going wrong?

You've stated that 1/2pi > 1... Please go through the whole thing once again slowly. It's all calculation errors and I can show you where you've gone wrong, but that's not going to help you at all. Also remember the direct relation between time period and angular frequency.

neutrino said:
You've stated that 1/2pi > 1... Please go through the whole thing once again slowly. It's all calculation errors and I can show you where you've gone wrong, but that's not going to help you at all. Also remember the direct relation between time period and angular frequency.

3.14/2 = 1.57 - am i using the wrong value for pi?

nyclio said:
3.14/2 = 1.57 - am i using the wrong value for pi?
frequency = angular frequency/(2pi) ... f = w/(2pi)

Time, T = 1/f = (2pi)/w

nyclio said:
After the collision, the two masses undergo simple harmonic motion about their position at impact.

C) Determine the amplitude of the harmonic motion.

K=0.5kA^2

A=Sqrt(2K/k)
=Sqrt((2*0.12)/100)
=0.05 m

Is this correct? Thanks!

Likes lovehatephysics

Related to A few questions - I want to make sure I did it right

1. What is the purpose of "A few questions - I want to make sure I did it right"?

The purpose of "A few questions - I want to make sure I did it right" is to ensure that the task or process being performed was done correctly. It allows for self-evaluation and reflection on the steps taken and the outcome achieved.

2. How does asking these questions help in the scientific process?

Asking these questions helps in the scientific process by promoting critical thinking and analysis of the methods and results. It allows for potential errors or improvements to be identified and addressed for future experiments or research.

3. Can these questions be applied to any type of scientific study?

Yes, these questions can be applied to any type of scientific study as they focus on the process and outcomes of a task or experiment. They can be tailored to specific fields or methods, but the overall purpose remains the same.

4. Should these questions be asked during or after the completion of a task?

Ideally, these questions should be asked both during and after the completion of a task. During the task, they can help identify any potential mistakes or issues that need to be addressed in real-time. After the task, they can provide a more comprehensive evaluation of the process and results.

5. How can these questions be used to improve future experiments or studies?

These questions can be used to improve future experiments or studies by providing valuable feedback on the process and outcomes. By reflecting on what was done right and what could be improved, scientists can make necessary adjustments for more accurate and successful results in the future.