A juggler throws a bowling pin straight up in the air....

In summary: I think it's important to consider the intention of the statement and what makes the most logical sense. In this case, the wording of (d) may not be the most accurate, but it is the closest to the intended meaning. So in summary, the answer is (d) because it states that the direction of the velocity and acceleration are opposite only when the pin is moving up, which is the intended meaning of the statement.
Anama Skout

Homework Statement

A juggler throws a bowling pin straight up in the air. After the pin leaves his hand and while it is in the air,
which statement is true? (a) The velocity of the pin is always in the same direction as its acceleration. (b) The velocity of the pin is never in the same direction as its acceleration. (c) The acceleration of the pin is zero.
(d) The velocity of the pin is opposite its acceleration on the way up. (e) The velocity of the pin is in the same direction as its acceleration on the way up.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I stated that all choices were wrong, however the solution manual says that (d) is right. However I think there's an error going on here, since the velocity of an object can never be the same as its acceleration (Why? Dimensional analysis!) I think what they mean is that the direction of the velocity of the pin is opposite its acceleration on the way up. Am I right on that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anama Skout said:
[...](d) The velocity of the pin is opposite its acceleration on the way up. (e) The velocity of the pin is in the same direction as its acceleration on the way up.
I think what they mean is that the direction of the velocity of the pin is opposite its acceleration on the way up. Am I right on that?

I agree that the intended meaning of d is that the direction of the acceleration and of the velocity are opposite.

The answer is d because this answer say that velocity and accelration opposite only when the pin moving up, the description of the movment of the pin after the hand leaves it, in some starting velocity opposite direction realvity to Earth ,
while gravity acceleration is making the velocity decreased while it in the air,
After some time the velocity would be zero and the pin reach the maximum point above ground, after this the velocity would be in the same direction as the acceleration toward Earth the velocity will increase till the pin hit the ground.

DaniV said:
The answer is d because this answer say that velocity and accelration opposite only when the pin moving up, the description of the movment of the pin after the hand leaves it, in some starting velocity opposite direction realvity to Earth ,
while gravity acceleration is making the velocity decreased while it in the air,
After some time the velocity would be zero and the pin reach the maximum point above earth, after this the velocity would be in the same direction as the acceleration toward Earth the velocity will increase till the pin hit the ground.
Did you read what I stated? I agreed that if they meant that "the direction of the velocity of the pin is opposite its acceleration on the way up." then (d) is surely right.

Anama Skout said:
I agreed that if they meant that "the direction of the velocity of the pin is opposite its acceleration on the way up." then (d) is surely right.
This is a good lesson in making judgement calls.

1. What is the scientific explanation behind a juggler throwing a bowling pin straight up in the air?

The scientific explanation behind a juggler throwing a bowling pin straight up in the air is due to the principles of physics, specifically the laws of motion. The juggler applies a force to the bowling pin, causing it to accelerate upwards. The force of gravity then acts upon the pin, causing it to eventually fall back down to the ground.

2. What factors affect the height and trajectory of the bowling pin when it is thrown up in the air?

The height and trajectory of the bowling pin when it is thrown up in the air are affected by several factors, including the initial force applied by the juggler, the angle at which the pin is thrown, and air resistance. The force and angle determine the initial velocity of the pin, while air resistance can slow down its ascent and descent.

3. Can a juggler throw a bowling pin straight up in the air and catch it without it falling over?

Yes, it is possible for a skilled juggler to throw a bowling pin straight up in the air and catch it without it falling over. This requires precise timing and control of the pin's trajectory and the juggler's hand movements. Jugglers often practice for years to perfect this skill.

4. How does the weight of the bowling pin affect its trajectory when it is thrown up in the air?

The weight of the bowling pin does not significantly affect its trajectory when it is thrown up in the air. The force of gravity acts equally on all objects regardless of their weight, so the pin will fall back down to the ground at the same rate regardless of its weight.

5. Why do jugglers often use bowling pins in their performances?

Jugglers often use bowling pins in their performances because they are a challenging and impressive object to juggle. The weight and shape of the pin make it more difficult to control and require a higher level of skill to juggle compared to other objects. Additionally, the elongated shape of the pin allows for more creative and visually appealing tricks to be performed.