A little push on this trig identity

In summary, the conversation is about the identity \tan^2(x)= \frac {1-\cos(2x)} {1+cos(2x)} and how to prove it. The person asks for help understanding the identity and someone explains the double angle identity \cos(2x)=\cos^2 (x) - \sin^2 (x). They then discuss which side would be easier to work with and arrive at the conclusion that the right side is easier. Through a series of steps, they are able to prove the identity using the double angle identity.
aisha
A little push on this trig identity please

[tex] \tan^2(x)= \frac {1-\cos(2x)} {1+cos(2x)} [/tex]

I need a little push I know from my other post that [tex] \cos(2x)=\cos^2 (x) - \sin^2 (x) [/tex] (can someone explain why?)

Physics news on Phys.org
what is your questioin? proving the tan identity or the cos one?

I have to make the left hand side equal the right hand side I don't think it matters if you use cos or tan which ever one is easier.

It would be easier to work with the right side.
So it would be like:

[tex]\frac {1-\cos(2x)} {1+cos(2x)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac {1 - (1 - 2\sin^2x)}{1 + 2\cos^2x - 1}[/tex] Double angle identities

[tex]\frac{2\sin^2x}{2\cos^2x}[/tex] 2's cancel out

[tex]\tan^2x[/tex]

Thanks sooo much BLUE SODA I am not good with the double angle identity thanks again :smile:

1. What is a trig identity?

A trig identity is an equation that relates different trigonometric functions to each other. These identities are used to simplify or solve trigonometric expressions and equations.

2. Why is it important to understand trig identities?

Understanding trig identities allows us to manipulate and solve complex trigonometric equations more easily. It also helps us to recognize patterns and apply them to real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

3. Can you give an example of a trig identity?

One example of a trig identity is the Pythagorean identity: sin²𝜃 + cos²𝜃 = 1. This identity shows the relationship between sine and cosine functions in a right triangle.

4. How can I prove a trig identity?

To prove a trig identity, you can use algebraic manipulation and substitution to transform one side of the equation into the other. You can also use geometric or trigonometric properties to show the equality.

5. Are there any tricks or tips for remembering trig identities?

One helpful tip for remembering trig identities is to break them down into smaller parts and focus on understanding the patterns and relationships between the functions. Also, practicing regularly and using them in problem-solving can improve your familiarity with them.