How Do You Solve a Modified Atwood Machine Problem?

• Thread starter kindor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atwood
In summary, the conversation is about finding the time difference between when two blocks hit the floor and how far their landing spots are. The person has already calculated the normal force and friction, but is unsure of what to do next. Another person suggests using the Atwood's equation for acceleration and kinematics equations to solve for the time difference.
kindor

Homework Statement

What the time difference between the instance that m2 and m3 hit the floor?
How far are their landing spots?

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have figured out the normal force of the two blocks each, and then I found the friction of them both.Here is my work so far and the question. I have no clue on what to do next.

http://imgur.com/YRnxb

Physics news on Phys.org
It's an Atwood's machine, so you should be able to modify the Atwood's equation for acceleration to fit the specifications for an incline, and then solve for acceleration. From there, I'm assuming you would use kinematics equations to solve for the time it takes for each block to travel the distance to the ground, and then subtract the time for mass 2 from mass 3 to solve for the time difference.

1. What is a modified Atwood problem?

A modified Atwood problem is a physics problem that involves two masses connected by a string or rope, with one mass hanging over a pulley. The problem typically involves calculating the acceleration and tension in the string as the masses move.

2. How does a modified Atwood problem differ from a traditional Atwood problem?

In a modified Atwood problem, there are additional factors to consider such as friction, air resistance, or non-uniform masses. This makes the problem more complex and requires the use of more advanced physics principles and equations.

3. What are the key concepts involved in solving a modified Atwood problem?

The key concepts involved in solving a modified Atwood problem include Newton's laws of motion, the equations of motion, and the concept of tension in a string. It is also important to understand how different factors such as friction and air resistance can affect the system.

4. What are some real-world applications of modified Atwood problems?

Modified Atwood problems have many real-world applications, including elevator systems, cranes, and even amusement park rides. They are also used in engineering and physics research to study the behavior of objects in motion.

5. How can I approach solving a modified Atwood problem?

To solve a modified Atwood problem, it is important to first understand the given scenario and identify the forces acting on the system. Then, use Newton's laws and the equations of motion to set up and solve the equations for acceleration and tension. Practice and familiarity with these concepts will also help in approaching and solving these problems.