A Person Standing on a Leaning Ladder

• Thread starter erik-the-red
  • Start date
In summary: L and theta, could you please post your solution?In summary, the do-it-yourself enthusiast of mass m_1 on a ladder against a smooth wall experiences a normal force of N_1 ( magnitude 9.80 kg) exerted by the wall, and a normal force of N_2 ( magnitude 9.80 kg) exerted by the ground. The coefficent of static friction between the ladder and the ground is mu_s = (9.80 kg)(dm_1+ (1/2)(Lm_2))/(L(m_1+ m_2)).
erik-the-red
Question:
A uniform ladder with mass [tex]m_2[/tex] and length L rests against a smooth wall. A do-it-yourself enthusiast of mass [tex]m_1[/tex] stands on the ladder a distance d from the bottom (measured along the ladder). The ladder makes an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with the ground. There is no friction between the wall and the ladder, but there is a frictional force of magnitude f between the floor and the ladder. [tex]N_1[/tex] is the magnitude of the normal force exerted by the wall on the ladder, and [tex]N_2[/tex] is the magnitude of the normal force exerted by the ground on the ladder. Throughout the problem, consider counterclockwise torques to be positive. None of your answers should involve [tex]\pi[/tex]. (i.e., simplify your trig functions).

1. What is the minimum coeffecient of static friction [tex]mu_min[/tex] required between the ladder and the ground so that the ladder does not slip?

I'm thinking [tex]f_s + (-n_1) = 0[/tex].
[tex]n_2 + (-9.80m_1) + (-9.80m_2) = 0[/tex]
[tex]n_2 = 9.80(m_1 + m_2)[/tex]
[tex]\sum \tau_B = (n_1)(Lcos(\theta)) - (9.80)(m_1)(d)(cos(\theta)) - (9.80)(m_2)(1/2)(L)(cos(\theta)) = 0[/tex]
[tex]n_1 = (9.80)(dm_1 + (1/2)(Lm_2)/L[/tex] and [tex]f_s=n_1[/tex].
[tex]\mu_s=f_s/f_n[/tex], where [tex]f_s[/tex] is maximum force of static friction.
[tex]\mu_s = (dm_1 + (1/2)(Lm_2))/(L(m_1 + m_2))[/tex].

My answer is not correct. Apparently, I'm missing some trig.

What have I excluded or considered incorrectly?

Attachments

• Figure.jpg
    Figure.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,124
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I figured out my mistake and I got the right answer.

But, I fell into the "B-Trap" for the second part of this question.

Suppose that the actual coefficent of friction is one and a half times as large as the value of mu_min. That is, [tex]\mu_{\rm s} = (3/2)\mu_{\rm min}.[/tex] Under these circumstances, what is the magnitude of the force of friction f that the floor applies to the ladder?

The ladder is no longer on the verge of slipping. So, [tex]f_s = (\mu_s)(n_2)[/tex] is not correct.

What do I reconsider?

answerkey1.jpg

Check this out, it may not help you much, but its something.

highcoughdrop said:
Check this out, it may not help you much, but its something.

Hi highcoughdrop! :smile:

erm … erik-the-red's last activity on this forum was about ten months ago! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but the only reason I posted anything on here was so that the people who use google to search the physics forums have something when they do find this.

Besides... that's how I got here, lol

Awesome, highcoughdrop! That's pretty much how I got here too. You were pretty helpful there, you know.

is the answer for part b same as that for part a? I'm stuck at b. :)

any one can tell me if the answer for part b is the same as part a?
i managed to solve only part a..

Hey if anyone is still having trouble with this, (m_1*d+m_2*L/2)*cos(theta)*g/(L*sin(theta))

1. What makes a ladder lean?

A ladder leans when its center of gravity is not aligned with its base. This can happen when the ladder is placed on uneven ground or when the weight of the person on the ladder is not evenly distributed.

2. Is it safe to stand on a leaning ladder?

Standing on a leaning ladder can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. It is important to make sure the ladder is securely placed and the weight of the person is distributed evenly. Additionally, using a ladder stabilizer or having someone hold the ladder can increase safety.

3. How can I make a leaning ladder more stable?

There are several ways to make a leaning ladder more stable. One option is to use a ladder stabilizer, which is a device that attaches to the ladder and provides a wider base for stability. Another option is to have someone hold the ladder while it is in use. Additionally, making sure the ladder is placed on a flat and even surface can also increase stability.

4. Can a leaning ladder cause accidents?

Yes, a leaning ladder can cause accidents if proper safety measures are not taken. Falling from a ladder can result in serious injuries, so it is important to take precautions and use the ladder correctly.

5. How should I climb a leaning ladder?

To climb a leaning ladder safely, make sure it is securely placed on an even surface and have someone hold the ladder or use a ladder stabilizer. Always maintain three points of contact with the ladder (two feet and one hand, or two hands and one foot) and avoid leaning too far to one side. It is also important to use a ladder that is the right height for the task and to never stand on the top two rungs.