Why doesn't my solution for finding a plane through three points work?

In summary: Obviously this is not a solution and the fact that the final answer incorporates a nomzero coeficient for z only proves that point.
Heatherfield
Hi,

I'm currently reading Calc III by Marsden & Weinstein. One of the examples shows a plane being drawn through three points. While I understand their solutiom, I'm very curious as to why my solutiom doesn't work.

1. Homework Statement

Write the equatiom for a plane through A = (1, 1, 1), B = (2, 0, 0) and C = (1, 1, 0).

Homework Equations

For a plane through Point P = (Px, Py, Pz) orthogonal to n = <A, B, C> we write the equation:

A(X - Px) + B(Y - Py) + C(Z - Pz)

The Attempt at a Solution

The book solves the problem by filling the points into the more general formula:

Ax + By + Cz + D = 0

Which leaves us with three equations and four unknowns, which is adequate to come up with a solution (there is an infinite amount of solutions).

I tried to solve it by trying to find a normal vector n = <nx, ny, nz> that is orthogonal to the vectors AB, AC and BC.

n ⋅ AB = 0
n ⋅ AC = 0
n ⋅ BC = 0

Leads to

nx - ny - nz = 0
-nz = 0
-nx + ny = 0

Solving this system leads to twice the expression nx = ny and once nz = 0. Thus I took <1, 1, 0> as a possible n.

Filling this in alongside A into the relevant equation leads to the equation

(x - 1) + (y - 1) = 0

Which simplifies to

x + y = 2

Obviously this is not a solution and the fact that the final answer incorporates a nomzero coeficient for z only proves that point. What did I do wrong?

- HF

Physics news on Phys.org
Heatherfield said:
the fact that the final answer incorporates a nomzero coeficient for z only proves that point.

What final answer are you referring to ? The final answer given in the book ?

Heatherfield said:
Which simplifies to

x + y = 2

Obviously this is not a solution and the fact that the final answer incorporates a nomzero coeficient for z only proves that point. What did I do wrong?
Why do you think your solution is wrong? Do coordinates of A, B, C fulfill the equation x+y=2?

Heatherfield said:
x + y = 2

Obviously this is not a solution and the fact that the final answer incorporates a nomzero coeficient for z only proves that point.

Have you've visualized that the answer to the problem is a plane that is perpendicular to the xy-plane, so it "sticks straight up in the z-direction"? (The answer must be a plane containing the vertical line segment (1,1,0) to (1,1,1). ) The lack of the "z" variable in "x + y = 2" is what permits the z-coordinate to take arbitrary values.

1. What is a plane through three points?

A plane through three points is a flat, two-dimensional surface that contains all three given points. It is determined by connecting the three points with straight lines and extending them infinitely in all directions to create a flat surface.

2. How many points are needed to define a plane?

At least three non-collinear points are needed to define a unique plane. Collinear points are points that lie on the same line, which would result in an infinite number of planes passing through them.

3. Can a plane through three points be tilted or rotated?

Yes, a plane through three points can be tilted or rotated in any direction as long as it still contains all three points. This is because a plane is a flat surface and can be positioned in different orientations without changing its basic properties.

4. What is the equation for a plane through three points?

The equation for a plane through three points can be found using the three-point formula, which is Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coordinates of the three points and D is a constant. This equation represents all the points that lie on the plane.

5. Can a plane through three points intersect a line?

Yes, a plane through three points can intersect a line. The intersection point(s) can be found by solving the equations of the plane and the line simultaneously. If the plane and line are parallel, then they will not intersect and there will be no solution.