1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A plane through three points

Tags:
  1. Jul 27, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I'm currently reading Calc III by Marsden & Weinstein. One of the examples shows a plane being drawn through three points. While I understand their solutiom, I'm very curious as to why my solutiom doesn't work.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write the equatiom for a plane through A = (1, 1, 1), B = (2, 0, 0) and C = (1, 1, 0).

2. Relevant equations
    For a plane through Point P = (Px, Py, Pz) orthogonal to n = <A, B, C> we write the equation:

A(X - Px) + B(Y - Py) + C(Z - Pz)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The book solves the problem by filling the points into the more general formula:

Ax + By + Cz + D = 0

Which leaves us with three equations and four unknowns, which is adequate to come up with a solution (there is an infinite amount of solutions).

I tried to solve it by trying to find a normal vector n = <nx, ny, nz> that is orthogonal to the vectors AB, AC and BC.

n ⋅ AB = 0
    n ⋅ AC = 0
    n ⋅ BC = 0

Leads to

nx - ny - nz = 0
    -nz = 0
    -nx + ny = 0

Solving this system leads to twice the expression nx = ny and once nz = 0. Thus I took <1, 1, 0> as a possible n.

Filling this in alongside A into the relevant equation leads to the equation

(x - 1) + (y - 1) = 0

Which simplifies to

x + y = 2

Obviously this is not a solution and the fact that the final answer incorporates a nomzero coeficient for z only proves that point. What did I do wrong?

- HF

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2016 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

What final answer are you referring to ? The final answer given in the book ?

4. Jul 28, 2016 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why do you think your solution is wrong? Do coordinates of A, B, C fulfill the equation x+y=2?

5. Jul 28, 2016 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Have you've visualized that the answer to the problem is a plane that is perpendicular to the xy-plane, so it "sticks straight up in the z-direction"? (The answer must be a plane containing the vertical line segment (1,1,0) to (1,1,1). ) The lack of the "z" variable in "x + y = 2" is what permits the z-coordinate to take arbitrary values.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted