1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem from Sakurai

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (Sakurai 1.27)
    [...] evaluate
    [tex]\langle \mathbf{p''} | F(r) | \mathbf{p'} \rangle[/tex]
    Simplify your expression as far as you can. Note that [itex]r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/itex], where x, y and z are operators.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\langle \mathbf{x'} | \mathbf{p'} \rangle = \frac{1}{ {(2 \pi \hbar)}^{3/2} }exp(i \mathbf{p'} \cdot \mathbf{x'} / \hbar)[/tex],
    [tex]F(r) | \mathbf{x'} \rangle = F(|\mathbf{x'}|) | \mathbf{x'} \rangle[/tex]
    [tex]\langle \mathbf{x''} | \mathbf{x'} \rangle = \delta(\mathbf{x''} - \mathbf{x'})[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the resolution of identity, I wrote
    [tex]\langle \mathbf{p''} | F(r) | \mathbf{p'} \rangle = \int \int \langle \mathbf{p''} | \mathbf{x''} \rangle \langle \mathbf{x''} |F(r) | \mathbf{x'} \rangle \langle \mathbf{x'} | \mathbf{p'} \rangle d \mathbf{x''} d \mathbf{x'}[/tex]
    Using the above "relevant equations", I get
    [tex]\frac{1}{(2 \pi \hbar)^3}\int exp(i (\mathbf{p'} - \mathbf{p''}) \cdot \mathbf{x'} / \hbar) F(|\mathbf{x'}|) d \mathbf{x'}[/tex]

Is this the correct answer? (wish that answers were avaiable at the backside of the book...)
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2008 #2
    So far this looks good: but you can simplify even further by using spherical coordinates, with the z-axis chosen in a smart way: you will end up with an integral only over r, no more angles.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?