1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Problem Involving Newton's Second Law

1. Sep 17, 2011 #1
    Once her chute opens, a sky-diver of mass m is acted upon by a downward force Fg due to gravity, and an upward force Fr due to air resistance. If Fg = mg, where g is gravitational acceleration, and Fr is proportional to velocity v, use Newton’s Second Law of Motion to write acceleration a as a function of velocity v.

Hey guys, I need a help on how to approach this problem. Initially, I assumed Fr = Ff = umg. But the problem states that Fr is proportional to velocity. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Newton's 2nd law is
    [tex]\sum_i \mathbf{F}_i = m\mathbf{a}[/tex]What do you get when you apply it to this problem?

4. Sep 17, 2011 #3
    Proportional meaning, the upward force equals the velocity, times a proportionally constant. Hence the drag force is Fr=bv, where b is a real number and v is velocity.

5. Sep 17, 2011 #4
    Thanks Xyius! Using your definition of drag force, I was able to work it out!

6. Sep 17, 2011 #5
    Glad to hear it! :D!

7. Sep 19, 2011 #6
    Would you care to explain how you did this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook