Solving an Integral Without Software: Step-by-Step

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving integration without the use of software. The integral in question is (e^-x sin ax)/x, which cannot be solved using integration by parts. The conversation also mentions the use of mathematical software to evaluate the integral, which results in exponential integrals with complex numbers. It is suggested that this problem may involve incomplete gamma functions or numerical methods of integration.
mashjavad
I want you to solve me a following problem without any software and explain me step to step:

int(exp(-x)*sin(a*x)/(x),x=0..infinity);
thenk you

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to the homework forums. Welcome to the PF, mashjavad. Please tell us what you know already about integration. What learning resources do you have available?

Hi mashjavad,

Looks like integration by parts doesn't solve the integral. It takes the form (e^-x sin ax)/x. I used mathematical software to evaluate and obtained exponential integrals with complex numbers in the result. I tink this involves incomplete gamma functions or numerical methods of integration.

Sorry couldn't help much.

FAQ: Solving an Integral Without Software: Step-by-Step

1. How do you determine the limits of integration?

The limits of integration are typically given in the integral itself. If not, they can be determined by looking at the graph of the function being integrated and finding the points where the graph intersects the x-axis.

2. What is the first step in solving an integral without software?

The first step is to rewrite the integral in a simpler form by using algebraic techniques such as factoring, substitution, or trigonometric identities.

3. How do you choose the appropriate integration technique?

The appropriate integration technique is chosen based on the form of the integral. Some common techniques include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals without software?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to change the limits of integration when using substitution, forgetting to distribute the derivative when using integration by parts, and making errors in algebraic simplification.

5. How do you check the accuracy of your solution?

You can check the accuracy of your solution by taking the derivative of the antiderivative you calculated and comparing it to the original function. If they are equal, then your solution is correct.