Why Water is the Preferred Coolant for Car Engines: 3 Reasons Explained

• Thread starter jacklwk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, water is preferred over alcohol as a coolant in car engines because it has a higher heat capacity, boils at a higher temperature, and evaporates at a higher temperature. These properties make it a more efficient coolant for regulating engine temperature. Additionally, the presence of water in the engine is necessary for proper combustion and using alcohol as a coolant would result in a lower volume of cooling liquid.
jacklwk
why we use water, but not alcohol as a coolant in the car engine?can you give me three reasons?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alcohol has a lower heat capcity than water
It boils at a lower temperature than water
It evaporates at a lower temperatuer than water

Why would we use alcohol as a coolant?

Thx A Lot~

Np. All 3 reasons are related. Because it has a higher heat capacity, it takes more engergy to boil, which also means more engergy to evaporate. Was this a homework question, or were you just wondering?

actually this is a homework question.
i am just a secondary 3 student.
can i say water is cheaper and alcohol is flamable?

I'm not sure those would be better reasons than the ones I listed above. The fact that alcohol is flammable shouldn't be a factor because it is never exposed to a spark, only the gasoline is. If the water was ever present where the combustion took place, the engine wouldn't run. Also, inside the radior, some of the water does boil; that's why you don't open a radior cap on a hot engine. Not all of the water boils because it's under pressure. If alcohol were used, more of it would boil and you wouldn't have the same volume of cooling liquid inside the radior; more would exist in a vaporous form than with water.

THX for your detailed explanation!You are really a enthusiast!

Haha. I do love cars, and the test I'm studying for right now deals with heat capacity. Good thing you asked when you did.

1. What is heat?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature.

2. How is heat measured?

Heat is measured in units of energy, such as joules or calories. It can also be measured using a thermometer to determine the change in temperature.

3. What are the three methods of heat transfer?

The three methods of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction occurs through direct contact, convection involves the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

4. How does heat affect the behavior of matter?

Heat can cause matter to change state, such as melting or boiling, and can also affect the rate of chemical reactions. It can also cause expansion or contraction of materials.

5. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are related but different concepts. Heat is the energy being transferred, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the molecules in a substance. In other words, heat is the cause of a temperature change.