A question about special relativity,

In summary, your teacher is using the Pythagorean theorem to find the duration of the journey for light. He also talks about replacing the speed of light with the speed of the object being tested.
hippopviolin
Hello everyone,

This is not a typical homework question. I found this confuses me when my teacher derives the special relativity formula in the class. Here is the derivation:

1. The astronaut, stationary relative to the clock incorporated in the bottom mirror, measures a time interval 2 delta t(s) for the light to make a round trip and so infers delta t(s) to be the duration of the upward journey.

2. The time interval as measured by an observer on Earth, who records it as delta t(m).

3.The path of the light forms two identical right triangles

So, the textbook and my teacher use the Pythagorean theorem to make a equation, and isolate delta t(m). Since the scenario was testing with the path of light, therefore the formula would include c square, of course.

Now, my question is: Can we use this formula for the other problems that are testing with the path of things other than light, such as a ball. If we can, should not we replace the speed of light with the speed of the ball?

I did talk to my teacher about it, but he could not find any answers yet, so I guess I may get some help here.

Sorry about my grammar. I hope I state my question clear.

Thanks to anyone who are trying to help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

From your explanations, you are explaining time dilation. The two right triangles that your teacher was using comes from the postulate that light always travels at the speed of light, otherwise it could be considered as a boucing ball.

Now, if I understand your question correctly, the path of a tennis ball bouncing vertically in a train passing by, would look like it's traveling in a triangle shape path for you standing still next to the train. If this is what you meant, then you can replace light photons with any object you feel like.

Cheers

Thank you fatra2 for reply my question.

looking forward to see more explanations.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains how space and time are relative to an observer's perspective and the speed of light is constant for all observers.

2. How does special relativity differ from general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity on the fabric of space-time.

3. What is the equation for special relativity?

The equation for special relativity is E=mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light.

4. Can special relativity be applied to everyday life?

Yes, special relativity has been confirmed through countless experiments and is used in various technologies such as GPS systems and particle accelerators.

5. What are some real-world examples of special relativity?

Some examples of special relativity include time dilation, length contraction, and the twin paradox. Time dilation occurs when an object moves at high speeds, causing time to pass slower for that object compared to a stationary observer. Length contraction is the shortening of an object's length as it moves at high speeds. The twin paradox is a thought experiment where one twin travels at high speeds in space while the other stays on Earth, resulting in the traveling twin aging slower than the stationary twin.