Can the Rationals be Contained in Open Intervals with Infinitely Small Width?

In summary, the problem is to prove that the rationals can be contained in open intervals with a total width less than any epsilon. To do this, one can create a series that converges to epsilon, such as epsilon/(n^2+n) or epsilon*(1/2)^n.
zhang128

Homework Statement

Prove that the rationals as a subset of the reals can all be contained in open intervals the sum of whose width is less than any \epsilon > 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't playing the game here. What do you think about the problem? You can't leave the Attempt at a Solution completely blank.

ups, my bad. I was thinking that since rationals are countable, I just need to make the open interval around each rational such that the total sum is less than \epsilon. Then the question turns to prove the sum of a finite series converges to the epsilon??

zhang128 said:
ups, my bad. I was thinking that since rationals are countable, I just need to make the open interval around each rational such that the total sum is less than \epsilon. Then the question turns to prove the sum of a finite series converges to the epsilon??

Much better, thanks. Can you write a series that converges to epsilon? If you can write a series that sums to say, 1, you should be able to write a series that converges to epsilon.

hmmm, like epsilon/(n^2+n)??

zhang128 said:
hmmm, like epsilon/(n^2+n)??

Sure, that works. I would have said sum epsilon*(1/2)^n. But whatever you like.

Related to Can the Rationals be Contained in Open Intervals with Infinitely Small Width?

1. What is real analysis?

Real analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and the properties and functions associated with them. It is a rigorous and theoretical approach to calculus and focuses on the foundations of calculus, such as limits, continuity, and differentiation.

2. What are some applications of real analysis?

Real analysis has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model and analyze real-world phenomena, make predictions, and solve problems related to optimization, control theory, and probability theory.

3. What are the main topics covered in real analysis?

The main topics covered in real analysis include limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, sequences and series, and metric spaces. It also involves the study of functions, including their properties, behavior, and convergence.

4. What are the key concepts in real analysis?

Some key concepts in real analysis include the concept of a limit, which is used to describe the behavior of a function near a specific point; the concept of continuity, which describes the smoothness of a function; and the concept of convergence, which is used to determine the behavior of a sequence or series of numbers.

5. What are the tools used in real analysis?

Real analysis uses a variety of tools, including mathematical proofs, theorems, and definitions. It also involves the use of techniques such as the epsilon-delta method, the intermediate value theorem, and the mean value theorem. Additionally, mathematical software and computer simulations are often used to aid in the analysis and visualization of functions and their properties.