1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A question from real analysis

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the rationals as a subset of the reals can all be contained in open intervals the sum of whose width is less than any \epsilon > 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You aren't playing the game here. What do you think about the problem? You can't leave the Attempt at a Solution completely blank.

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    ups, my bad. I was thinking that since rationals are countable, I just need to make the open interval around each rational such that the total sum is less than \epsilon. Then the question turns to prove the sum of a finite series converges to the epsilon??

5. Mar 23, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Much better, thanks. Can you write a series that converges to epsilon? If you can write a series that sums to say, 1, you should be able to write a series that converges to epsilon.

6. Mar 23, 2010 #5
    hmmm, like epsilon/(n^2+n)??

7. Mar 23, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, that works. I would have said sum epsilon*(1/2)^n. But whatever you like.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook